HomePhabricator

RFC Meeting on IRC 2015-11-25 22:00 UTC (T118932: Raise PHP version requirements)
ActivePublic

Hosted by daniel on Nov 25 2015, 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM.

Description

See the Architecture meetings page for more general information about this meeting, and this Phab query: upcoming meetings for a list of the upcoming Architecture meetings.

Recurring Event

Event Series
This event is an instance of E66: ArchCom RFC Meeting Wxx: <topic TBD> (<see "Starts" field>, #wikimedia-office), and repeats every week.

Event Timeline

RobLa-WMF renamed this event from RFC Meeting on #wikimedia-office IRC channel to RFC Meeting on IRC 2015-11-25 21:00 UTC (T118932: Raise PHP version requirements).Nov 23 2015, 10:30 PM
RobLa-WMF updated the event description. (Show Details)
RobLa-WMF updated the event description. (Show Details)Nov 24 2015, 5:10 AM
RobLa-WMF renamed this event from RFC Meeting on IRC 2015-11-25 21:00 UTC (T118932: Raise PHP version requirements) to RFC Meeting on IRC 2015-11-25 22:00 UTC (T118932: Raise PHP version requirements).
Addshore invited: ; uninvited: .Nov 24 2015, 8:30 PM
Addshore added a subscriber: Addshore.

2:58 PM <wm-labs-meetbot`> Minutes: https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2015/wikimedia-office.2015-11-25-22.00.html
2:58 PM <wm-labs-meetbot`> Minutes (text): https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2015/wikimedia-office.2015-11-25-22.00.txt
2:58 PM <wm-labs-meetbot`> Minutes (wiki): https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2015/wikimedia-office.2015-11-25-22.00.wiki
2:58 PM <wm-labs-meetbot`> Log: https://tools.wmflabs.org/meetbot/wikimedia-office/2015/wikimedia-office.2015-11-25-22.00.log.html

Meeting summary for this week:

  • '''RFC: Raise MediaWiki's PHP version requirement and update coding standards | Wikimedia meetings channel | Please note: Channel is logged and publicly posted (DO NOT REMOVE THIS NOTE) | Logs: http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/%23wikimedia-office/''' (TimStarling, 22:00:43)
    • ''LINK:'' https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118932 (TimStarling, 22:00:52)
    • public statement is https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_requirements , also "Requirements in short" (spagewmf, 22:06:11)
    • ''LINK:'' https://secure.php.net/supported-versions.php (legoktm, 22:06:32)
    • ''LINK:'' https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118932#1813219 (TimStarling, 22:08:06)
    • please document mediawikis hhvm version requirements (jzerebecki, 22:09:06)
    • ''LINK:'' https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle says 1.27 is LTS (legoktm, 22:12:17)
    • ''LINK:'' https://packages.debian.org/jessie/php5 (gwicke, 22:12:42)
    • There is consensus for raising the version requirement, and that we should raise it to something newer than 5.4. (ori, 22:16:23)
    • TimStarling: our minimum version will be the common subset of features supported by PHP 5.5 and HHVM 3.1. (No objections.) (ori, 22:19:26)
    • Requirement statement for users: PHP 5.5+ or HHVM 3.x+ ; requirement statement for developers: the subset of features that behave consistently on both platforms. (ori, 22:23:34)
    • HHVM min version: 3.6 for MW git master (ori, 22:26:05)
    • We're not picking 5.6 because Ubuntu LTS (14.04) packages 5.5 (spagewmf, 22:26:22)
    • and because wmf cluster still has some machines on 5.5 / trusty (ori, 22:26:52)
    • HHVM 3.6 is soft requirement for the download page, not hard requirement (ori, 22:27:16)
    • <DanielK_WMDE> since we have less experience with the new features, we will have to learn to spot abuse. we just don't have any experience with traits. the change how dependencies work. we should take our time experimenting with that. (ori, 22:44:34)
    • ''ACTION:'' MaxSem to make experimental commit adding traits to ContextSource so we could see if we like it (ori, 22:51:01)
    • We'll give traits a shot with implementation proposals / documentation, scoped to ContextSource / LoggerAware and make a decision re: broader usage sometime in February. (ori, 22:54:07)
    • ''LINK:'' http://php.net/manual/en/migration55.new-features.php has Generators. Discuss? (spagewmf, 22:54:39)
    • <TimStarling> yeah, personally, I would approve such a mass migration commit [ = changing array syntax ] (ori, 22:54:45)
    • meeting next week: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/E93 (robla, 22:57:35)
    • ''ACTION:'' legoktm / James_F to try using phpcbf to convert to [] and then enforce it (ori, 22:58:15)

Next week: E93: RFC Meeting: Use <figure> for media (2015-12-02)

daniel renamed this event from RFC Meeting on IRC 2015-11-25 22:00 UTC (T118932: Raise PHP version requirements) to ArchCom RFC Meeting Wxx: <topic TBD> (<see "Starts" field>, #wikimedia-office).Nov 21 2016, 6:11 PM
daniel changed the host of this event from RobLa-WMF to daniel.
daniel uninvited: Addshore.
daniel updated the event description. (Show Details)
daniel updated the event description. (Show Details)Dec 9 2016, 7:46 AM
daniel renamed this event from ArchCom RFC Meeting Wxx: <topic TBD> (<see "Starts" field>, #wikimedia-office) to RFC Meeting on IRC 2015-11-25 22:00 UTC (T118932: Raise PHP version requirements).