Page MenuHomePhabricator
Paste P7459

IRC Logs for September 14th, 2018 AWMD monthly meeting
ActivePublic

Authored by D3r1ck01 on Aug 14 2018, 9:19 PM.
Tags
None
Tokens
"Pirate Logo" token, awarded by D3r1ck01.
2018-09-14 16:00:52 ** tybanash joined channel
2018-09-14 16:03:39 <tybanash> Hello
2018-09-14 16:07:20 <africanhope> tybanash: Hi
2018-09-14 16:07:54 <tybanash> Has the meeting begun?
2018-09-14 16:08:39 <africanhope> tybanash: not yet
2018-09-14 16:09:14 <africanhope> I don't see the other moderators d3r1ck and rosalie
2018-09-14 16:09:22 <tybanash> Ok
2018-09-14 16:11:02 <africanhope> In the meantime I will serve as acting moderator
2018-09-14 16:11:32 <africanhope> So we will give few moments for others to join us.
2018-09-14 16:12:10 <africanhope> If you don't mind we'll just introduce ourselves, there are a couple of mames that I haven't seen before :)
2018-09-14 16:12:15 <africanhope> names*
2018-09-14 16:12:55 <africanhope> Ange_237: tybanash do you want to introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you?
2018-09-14 16:16:07 ** mukaram joined channel
2018-09-14 16:16:24 <mukaram> Hello
2018-09-14 16:16:30 <africanhope> mukaram: Welcome
2018-09-14 16:16:52 <africanhope> tybanash: Do you want to tell few things about yourself, where you are from and what you do?
2018-09-14 16:17:03 <africanhope> Ange_237: You could also do the same
2018-09-14 16:18:27 <tybanash> I am Awah Nadege , Cameroonian. A geology student who is so interested in web development and contributing to open source
2018-09-14 16:18:43 <mukaram> What is the agenda today?
2018-09-14 16:19:15 <mukaram> welcome tybanash
2018-09-14 16:19:29 <africanhope> The agenda is here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192441
2018-09-14 16:23:06 <opentechno> africanhope: me too
2018-09-14 16:23:42 <tybanash> Thanks @mukaram
2018-09-14 16:25:49 <mukaram> What is GCI 2018? I search on google but am lost
2018-09-14 16:26:16 <africanhope> First let's look at here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T203068
2018-09-14 16:26:39 <africanhope> GCI stands for Google Code In
2018-09-14 16:28:38 <africanhope> For now there is a call for volunteer mentors
2018-09-14 16:29:37 <africanhope> To put that simply, GCI is a programme for young coders
2018-09-14 16:30:07 <africanhope> But more advanced developers generally help those young coders, they help them by being mentors
2018-09-14 16:31:03 <d3r1ck> Hello everyone!
2018-09-14 16:31:15 <d3r1ck> Sorry for the late entry! Security is tight in my part of the country
2018-09-14 16:31:21 <africanhope> So for now were are searching for volunteer mentors within the Wikimedia developers community. And, As I mentioned earlier, those who will volunteer as Mentors will help young coders with their tasks during Google Code In
2018-09-14 16:31:23 <d3r1ck> But I can take it from here, thanks africanhope :)
2018-09-14 16:31:39 <africanhope> d3r1ck: Right on time
2018-09-14 16:31:40 <opentechno> d3r1ck: Hi, welcome
2018-09-14 16:31:40 <d3r1ck> Rosalie poked me that she won't be around
2018-09-14 16:31:47 <d3r1ck> africanhope, opentechno, Hey!
2018-09-14 16:31:53 <d3r1ck> Where are we on the agenda?
2018-09-14 16:32:12 <africanhope> d3r1ck: Point 1
2018-09-14 16:32:14 <opentechno> d3r1ck: A long time, I very happy you joined
2018-09-14 16:32:28 <d3r1ck> opentechno: I'm always here :)
2018-09-14 16:32:40 <d3r1ck> africanhope: How far are we with the point, I don't want to read the logs :D
2018-09-14 16:32:43 <d3r1ck> I'm very lazy
2018-09-14 16:32:50 <opentechno> d3r1ck: First point
2018-09-14 16:33:17 <africanhope> d3r1ck: I was explaining to the folks what GCI is and our need for volunteer Mentors
2018-09-14 16:33:36 <africanhope> I also share the Phab link for the table of volunteer mentors, as of date
2018-09-14 16:33:46 <africanhope> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T203068
2018-09-14 16:33:50 <d3r1ck> Okay
2018-09-14 16:33:55 <d3r1ck> africanhope: Thanks
2018-09-14 16:34:25 <d3r1ck> They can read about GCI too here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in
2018-09-14 16:34:41 <Ange_237> My name is Ange Taffo, Cameroonian. Am a computer scientists who is interested in contributing to open source
2018-09-14 16:35:56 <africanhope> Ange_237: Glad to have you Aboard!
2018-09-14 16:36:01 <tybanash> d3r1ck: ok
2018-09-14 16:36:13 <opentechno> Ange_237: Welcome in the Family
2018-09-14 16:36:27 <d3r1ck> Ange_237: Great! :)
2018-09-14 16:36:39 <Ange_237> @africanhope thanks
2018-09-14 16:36:45 <d3r1ck> You're welcome Ange_237, tybanash :)
2018-09-14 16:36:52 <d3r1ck> So any questions about point 1?
2018-09-14 16:38:20 <d3r1ck> Here is the agenda: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192441
2018-09-14 16:39:03 <wikibugs> Africa-Wikimedia-Developers, Developer-Advocacy: Africa Wikimedia Developers IRC general meeting #10 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192441 (D3r1ck01) a:D3r1ck01
2018-09-14 16:40:44 <d3r1ck> Does the silence mean no question about signing up for GCI as mentor?
2018-09-14 16:40:49 <d3r1ck> It's gonna be fun :D
2018-09-14 16:43:54 <tybanash> No question from my end
2018-09-14 16:44:26 <d3r1ck> Next agenda point is: Brief chat with aspiring GSoC 2019 participants across Africa (T203068)
2018-09-14 16:44:39 <d3r1ck> So anyone here preparing for Google Summer of Code 2019?
2018-09-14 16:45:31 <d3r1ck> While waiting for responses, I see new nicks around
2018-09-14 16:45:53 <d3r1ck> Ange_237, mukaram, tybanash, you're all welcome :)
2018-09-14 16:46:04 <d3r1ck> (maybe this is the second welcome, :D)
2018-09-14 16:47:55 <opentechno> d3r1ck: of course
2018-09-14 16:48:12 <d3r1ck> So for those interested, what are you plan?
2018-09-14 16:48:29 <tybanash> d3r1ck: thanks. Sorry for bringing u back. Can newbies mentor? As for me am still trying to set up my environment
2018-09-14 16:49:11 <d3r1ck> From an experienced point of view, you'll need some skills around MW to be able to mentor
2018-09-14 16:49:18 <d3r1ck> But are you willing to dare? tybanash?
2018-09-14 16:49:45 <d3r1ck> I'm not usually afraid of daring into the unknown but I usually prepare myself ofcourse
2018-09-14 16:49:55 <d3r1ck> So it's okay if you feel you're not up to the task but you can prepare for next year right?
2018-09-14 16:50:46 <tybanash> d3r1ck: yea sure, i can prepare for now and dare next year
2018-09-14 16:51:40 <d3r1ck> tybanash: Okay :)
2018-09-14 16:53:28 <d3r1ck> I'm a big fan of the learning by doing principle tybanash
2018-09-14 16:53:50 <d3r1ck> so yes prepare and next year you'll be good I guess
2018-09-14 16:54:00 <d3r1ck> So any aspiring GSoCers?
2018-09-14 16:54:17 <d3r1ck> opentechno: What are you plans?
2018-09-14 16:54:26 <d3r1ck> *your
2018-09-14 16:56:13 <opentechno> d3r1ck: I am going to prepare for next year if possible
2018-09-14 16:57:23 ** ACHIJA joined channel
2018-09-14 16:57:34 <ACHIJA> hello
2018-09-14 16:57:45 <ACHIJA> bonjour ma famille wiki
2018-09-14 16:58:17 <ACHIJA> j'espère que je suis au rendez vous
2018-09-14 16:58:34 <opentechno> ACHIJA: Welcome, do you speak English a little?
2018-09-14 16:58:51 <d3r1ck> ACHIJA: Hey!
2018-09-14 16:59:01 <d3r1ck> ACHIJA: Bonjour
2018-09-14 16:59:11 <d3r1ck> ACHIJA: Oui
2018-09-14 16:59:28 <d3r1ck> So no questions around GSoC, but feel free to join the channel anytime and poke me
2018-09-14 16:59:30 <d3r1ck> I'm always around
2018-09-14 16:59:32 <ACHIJA> yes
2018-09-14 16:59:40 <d3r1ck> Except on very rare cases :)
2018-09-14 17:00:45 <d3r1ck> To read more about GSoC, see here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
2018-09-14 17:01:08 <opentechno> ACHIJA: Can you speak English, please?
2018-09-14 17:01:51 <tybanash> d3r1ck: ok
2018-09-14 17:01:52 <d3r1ck> opentechno: I think s(he) said yes
2018-09-14 17:01:59 <opentechno> ACHIJA: it is the language used here
2018-09-14 17:02:21 <d3r1ck> We'll try to see if we can support more languages in the future
2018-09-14 17:03:27 <opentechno> d3r1ck: I prefer that we speak English to improve our level
2018-09-14 17:04:23 <tybanash> Please can we go back to the agenda, time is running out
2018-09-14 17:04:24 <d3r1ck> opentechno: Okay!
2018-09-14 17:04:34 <opentechno> d3r1ck: I will not participate GSC this year
2018-09-14 17:04:35 <d3r1ck> Sure! We'll be a little fast
2018-09-14 17:04:52 <d3r1ck> Next agenda point:
2018-09-14 17:04:54 <d3r1ck> Technical Issues faced and pending patches for review if available
2018-09-14 17:05:02 <d3r1ck> So anyone facing technical issues, questions, ask them
2018-09-14 17:05:13 <opentechno> d3r1ck: I ought grow my skills
2018-09-14 17:05:29 <wikibugs> Africa-Wikimedia-Developers, Developer-Advocacy: Africa Wikimedia Developers IRC general meeting #10 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192441 (D3r1ck01)
2018-09-14 17:05:30 <d3r1ck> opentechno: Okay!
2018-09-14 17:05:41 <opentechno> d3r1ck: And me prepared for next year GSC
2018-09-14 17:06:26 <africanhope> opentechno: nice
2018-09-14 17:06:51 <d3r1ck> opentechno: Great!
2018-09-14 17:06:52 <africanhope> by the way, welcome ACHIJA
2018-09-14 17:06:59 <d3r1ck> Any technical issues? Ask ask ask
2018-09-14 17:07:31 <africanhope> d3r1ck: Are we still on point 2?
2018-09-14 17:07:32 <d3r1ck> Though we can also make use of the mailing list, post your questions there too and you'll get replies for sure :)
2018-09-14 17:07:37 <d3r1ck> africanhope: Point 3 :)
2018-09-14 17:07:50 <ACHIJA> thank
2018-09-14 17:08:02 <africanhope> d3r1ck: thanks mate
2018-09-14 17:08:11 <ACHIJA> africanhope thank
2018-09-14 17:08:14 <d3r1ck> sure, :)
2018-09-14 17:08:29 <d3r1ck> We've got a project you can contribute to in order to warm up a little
2018-09-14 17:08:37 <d3r1ck> maybe africanhope, share with them the stats tool?
2018-09-14 17:08:46 <tybanash> The technical issue I have is that I tried to clone mediawiki core, did not succeed . What can I do from here?which command should I use please? https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/4PIh4Vv1/IMG_7358.JPG
2018-09-14 17:08:50 <d3r1ck> And how they can add themselves to the contributors.json file for tracking their changes?
2018-09-14 17:09:13 <africanhope> d3r1ck: lets handle tybanash stuff first and we'll move on if you don't mind
2018-09-14 17:09:29 <africanhope> (otherwise you plan sounds good d3r1ck)
2018-09-14 17:09:43 <d3r1ck> tybanash: This tutorial is a life saver: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Tutorial
2018-09-14 17:09:56 <d3r1ck> Did you try it?
2018-09-14 17:10:02 <d3r1ck> africanhope: Okay!
2018-09-14 17:10:25 <tybanash> d3r1ck: that’s what I’ve been using
2018-09-14 17:10:54 <opentechno> tybanash: You must get the authorization like super user to execute this command
2018-09-14 17:11:38 <opentechno> tybanash: Use the link that D3rick given you
2018-09-14 17:12:19 <d3r1ck> tybanash: Seems you don't have write permission to that directory
2018-09-14 17:12:49 <d3r1ck> So you'll need to make sure you've got the permission to write in that directory so your clone command can work
2018-09-14 17:13:17 <d3r1ck> If you're on linux, you can use the "chmod" command to make the directory writable
2018-09-14 17:13:36 <tybanash> Am on windows
2018-09-14 17:14:01 <d3r1ck> tybanash: Hmmm... You can run some Google searches but this is a starting point: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16376035/fatal-could-not-create-work-tree-dir-kivy
2018-09-14 17:14:35 <d3r1ck> tybanash: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2623670/access-denied-or-other-errors-when-you-access-or-work-with-files-and-f
2018-09-14 17:14:43 <d3r1ck> tybanash: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed
2018-09-14 17:14:53 <d3r1ck> Those will do the trick, but revert in case of more help :)
2018-09-14 17:16:19 <tybanash> d3r1ck: thank you
2018-09-14 17:17:25 <d3r1ck> Sure!
2018-09-14 17:18:40 <d3r1ck> Any other technical difficulties?
2018-09-14 17:19:55 <africanhope> If none I will share some few stuffs to get your hands dirty :)
2018-09-14 17:19:56 <tybanash> That’s all from my end
2018-09-14 17:21:14 <africanhope> Good
2018-09-14 17:21:14 <d3r1ck> Okay
2018-09-14 17:21:21 <africanhope> d3r1ck: May I go ahead?
2018-09-14 17:21:26 <d3r1ck> Sure sure!
2018-09-14 17:21:53 <africanhope> A quick round of info for you folks! Listen :)
2018-09-14 17:21:57 <africanhope> Our monthly statistics tool was moved from Github and is now official hosted on Gerrit
2018-09-14 17:22:27 <africanhope> The good part is that, there are a couple of improvements to be made
2018-09-14 17:23:34 <africanhope> First of all here is the link to the tool for those wondering https://tools.wmflabs.org/awmd-stats/
2018-09-14 17:24:32 <d3r1ck> reminds we've got 6 more mins!
2018-09-14 17:24:59 <africanhope> For your work to be tracked you need to clone the project, add you name to the contributors.json and submit a patch.
2018-09-14 17:24:59 <ACHIJA> bye
2018-09-14 17:25:15 <africanhope> A guide is available here : https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/g/labs/tools/awmd-stats
2018-09-14 17:25:39 <opentechno> africanhope: Thanks
2018-09-14 17:26:23 <africanhope> Finally, there are some easy related to this tool. If you want to work on them checkout the Phabricator dashboard: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/2858/
2018-09-14 17:27:11 <africanhope> As mentioned above, there are a couple of not too complicated stuffs like writing python test code, etc.
2018-09-14 17:27:42 <africanhope> Make sure to check the Phabricator dashboard to learn more and ping either d3r1ck or africanhope in this IRC channel if you need help.
2018-09-14 17:27:49 <africanhope> d3r1ck: I am done!
2018-09-14 17:28:29 <africanhope> reminds we've got 2 mins!
2018-09-14 17:29:26 <africanhope> d3r1ck: ?
2018-09-14 17:29:51 <africanhope> I will go on and close in 1 min with the last point.
2018-09-14 17:30:30 <africanhope> ACHIJA Ange_237 mukaram opentechno tybanash
2018-09-14 17:30:54 <d3r1ck> africanhope: conclude please
2018-09-14 17:30:55 <opentechno> africanhope: Okay
2018-09-14 17:31:11 <africanhope> If you need some support when working on patches or installing stuff, make sure to use this IRC channel.
2018-09-14 17:31:44 <africanhope> The IRC channel is our main way to collaborate, therefore please make sure to familiarize yourself with it and ping us anytime for help.
2018-09-14 17:32:12 <africanhope> d3r1ck: or I will be more than happy to assist you. But remember you need to step up and reach out to us here.
2018-09-14 17:32:37 <africanhope> Thank you all for your time and dedication.
2018-09-14 17:32:46 <africanhope> d3r1ck: I am letting you close
2018-09-14 17:33:41 <tybanash> Ok
2018-09-14 17:34:37 <d3r1ck> Okay everyone
2018-09-14 17:34:38 <africanhope> Thank you again for attending this meeting ACHIJA Ange_237 mukaram opentechno tybanash
2018-09-14 17:35:00 <d3r1ck> \o/
2018-09-14 17:35:14 <d3r1ck> Meeting officially closed and thanks d3r1ck and africanhope for hosting
2018-09-14 17:35:18 <opentechno> bye bye, see you soon
2018-09-14 17:35:20 <d3r1ck> Thank everyone for attending :)
2018-09-14 17:35:25 <d3r1ck> sneaks out!

Event Timeline

D3r1ck01 changed the title of this paste from IRC Logs for September <second-Friday> 2018 AWMD monthly meeting to IRC Logs for September 14th, 2018 AWMD monthly meeting.Aug 22 2018, 8:57 PM
D3r1ck01 edited the content of this paste. (Show Details)Sep 14 2018, 5:06 PM
D3r1ck01 edited the content of this paste. (Show Details)Sep 14 2018, 5:24 PM
D3r1ck01 edited the content of this paste. (Show Details)Sep 14 2018, 5:35 PM
D3r1ck01 awarded a token.

Thanks @D3r1ck01 . This was helpful