Page MenuHomePhabricator
Paste P8370

April meeting Logs
ActivePublic

Authored by rosalieper on Apr 8 2019, 8:26 PM.
r054l13> africanhope: hellooo! :D
4:58 PM meeting Starting in few minutes
africanhope> r054l13: alright
5:00 PM
<r054l13> Driiiinnggg
5:00 PM Meeting officially open :)
5:01 PM Hello everyone,
5:01 PM This is the agenda for our meeting today: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220167
5:01 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (PS2) Yaron Koren: build: Updating mediawiki/mediawiki-codesniffer to 19.2.0 [extensions/Cargo] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/503294 (owner: Umherirrender)
5:01 PM
<r054l13> check it out if you haven't yet.
5:02 PM first point=> Introduction of new developers.
5:03 PM → brendajerop joined (~Thunderbi@197.232.61.196)
5:03 PM
<r054l13> Any new volunteer around? we want to welcome you :D
5:05 PM
<brendajerop> brendajee r054l13: Thank you
5:06 PM
<africanhope> it's good to have you around brendajerop
5:06 PM
<r054l13> Welcom brendajerop
5:06 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) Yaron Koren: [C: +2] build: Updating mediawiki/mediawiki-codesniffer to 19.2.0 [extensions/Cargo] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/503294 (owner: Umherirrender)
5:06 PM
<africanhope>
Akwaba brendajerop!
5:06 PM
<r054l13> Tell us a little about you please
5:07 PM brendajerop: like where you come from and what you like :)
5:08 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (PS1) Yaron Koren: Fix for 53f76324c82a - add module dependency [extensions/Cargo] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/503390
5:09 PM
<r054l13> brendajerop: ??
5:09 PM → PaulWiki joined (~Kod_B@154.0.26.37)
5:09 PM
<r054l13> Welcome PaulWiki
5:09 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (Abandoned) Yaron Koren: Fix for 53f76324c82a - add module dependency [extensions/Cargo] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/503390 (owner: Yaron Koren)
5:10 PM
<PaulWiki> Paul BOUAFFOU Thank
5:10 PM
<brendajerop> brendajee I'm Brenda from Kenya and I'm new to open source contribution. I'm an Outreachy applicant so that's how I got to know about Wikimedia. But that doesn't really matter now because I'll keep contributing whether or not I get selected. The community is amazing :)
5:10 PM → tab1tha joined (~Tambe@129.0.79.204)
5:11 PM
<r054l13> brendajerop: Great, we are happy to have you on board
5:12 PM
<africanhope> +1
5:12 PM
<r054l13> PaulWiki: Could you please tell us a little about you?
5:12 PM Welcome tab1tha
5:12 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (Merged) jenkins-bot: build: Updating mediawiki/mediawiki-codesniffer to 19.2.0 [extensions/Cargo] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/503294 (owner: Umherirrender)
5:12 PM
<r054l13> PaulWiki: Like where you come from and what you like ? :)
5:13 PM
<PaulWiki> Paul BOUAFFOU Hello dears members of Africa Wikimedia Developpers Group
5:13 PM
<africanhope> hey PaulWiki
5:14 PM hello tab1tha
5:14 PM
<tab1tha> hello
5:14 PM ↔ brendajerop nipped out
5:16 PM
<r054l13> tab1tha: We are getting all new contributors introduce themselves. So right now PaulWiki is about to tell us a little about him and I guess you will shout next. :D
5:16 PM him/her*
5:17 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) jenkins-bot: build: Updating mediawiki/mediawiki-codesniffer to 19.2.0 [extensions/Cargo] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/503294 (owner: Umherirrender)
5:18 PM
<PaulWiki> Paul BOUAFFOU I'm Paul BOUAFFOU from Ivory Coast. I'm a newcomer in the group.
5:18 PM
<r054l13> PaulWiki: Amazing. Welcom again
5:19 PM tab1tha: Could you just tell us a little about you?
5:19 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi Welcome to all new contributors! I think I did this on the mailing list for brendajerop.
5:19 PM → jenniline joined (uid352271@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-sisdoissxfpoxpxu)
5:19 PM
<r054l13> Welcome jenniline
5:19 PM → Abdoulaye joined (~abdoulaye@160.120.170.80)
5:20 PM
<r054l13> Welcome Abdoulaye
5:20 PM
<tab1tha> I am Cameroonian and I code in Python
5:20 PM
<r054l13> great, tab1tha
5:20 PM
<africanhope> that's lovely, tab1tha
5:20 PM
<PaulWiki> Paul BOUAFFOU Thank
5:20 PM
<africanhope> Akwaba Abdoulaye!
5:20 PM
<Abdoulaye> Fofana hello everybody
5:21 PM
<r054l13> Welcome to everyone again. We have run the first 20 mins of the meeting, I think we will move to the next point
5:21 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline Hi, I am Cameroonian and I code in JS & PHP
5:21 PM
<africanhope> jenniline: awesome
5:22 PM
<r054l13> jenniline: That's amazing. We are happy to have you on board
5:22 PM second point => A brief talk around on going outreach programs in Wikimedia and African developers progress
5:23 PM
<africanhope> r054l13: sure thing
5:24 PM
<r054l13> Concerning outreach programs I will say AWMD has shown a lot more interest this year than in previous years.
5:24 PM ⇐ Eugene233 quit (uid268461@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-mctqxdavojoihufd) Quit: Connection closed for inactivity
5:24 PM
<r054l13> Currently, for both Google summer of code and Outreachy, selected candidate lists are not yet out
5:25 PM But I strongly hope we will have a good number of us selected for both programs :)
5:26 PM The objective is to aquire skills and be able to be build up our capacities through this programs
5:27 PM On that I want to congratulate all those who successfully applied for either program and Remember that no mater the results there is always something to learn from an experience
5:28 PM Congrates to those mentoring this year as well
5:29 PM I am done for this point. anyone has something to add?
5:29 PM could be a question, comments, remark or congratulations too :)
5:31 PM I will move to the next point in a minute time if no reply
5:31 PM
<brendajerop> r054l13: Thank you, and I agree with you on the point about the results. The application process alone was a great learning experience for me:)
5:32 PM
<r054l13> brendajerop: Welcome
5:32 PM moving to the next point ===>>>
5:32 PM
<africanhope> brendajerop: its great to hear a testimony from a living witness :D
5:33 PM
<r054l13> africanhope: Indeed
5:33 PM
<Abdoulaye> Fofana It is an honor for me to be part of this program and I hope to acquire more knowledge at the end of this experience. As you said, we always remember something from an experience, something that comes out of it.
5:33 PM
<r054l13> Abdoulaye: Great!!!
5:34 PM
<africanhope> thanks for chiming in too Abdoulaye
5:34 PM
<r054l13> Third point => Introduction to Wikimedia tech space Code of conduct
5:35 PM
<africanhope> r054l13: he did not get time to introduce himself but Abdoulaye is from Cote d'Ivoire too :)
5:35 PM (sure, you may proceed with Third point)
5:35 PM
<r054l13> africanhope: Thank you for letting us know
5:35 PM Abdoulaye: Welcome again!
5:35 PM
<Abdoulaye> Fofana yes I am Ivorian and I code in PHP
5:36 PM
<r054l13> Abdoulaye: Amazing!! we have lot of gurus in here :D
5:36 PM So 3rd point
5:36 PM Introduction to Wikimedia tech space Code of conduct (Good to know especially for new devs in the community)
5:37 PM This is very relevant for the new contributors.
5:38 PM → katy29 joined (~rolandeko@154.68.4.171)
5:38 PM
<r054l13> There is a code of conduct for mediawiki contributors. You can find it in the software source code if you cloned it or online here
5:38 PM https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
5:39 PM
<africanhope> r054l13 or xSavitar, could we have a simple explanation of what a Code of Conduct (Coc) is about, why it's important? Some may not have encountered any before
5:39 PM
<r054l13> Ah yeah sure. thank you africanhope . You are right
5:39 PM Welcome katy29
5:39 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi I think the link says it all
5:40 PM The points on that link are clear enough IMHO
5:41 PM
<r054l13> So just to make it clear, A code of conduct just specifies the rules that governs our behaviour in a community and around a project
5:41 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct#Unacceptable_behavior
5:42 PM
<r054l13> for example Personal attacks, violence, threats of violence, or deliberate intimidation are unacceptable behaviours in the dev community in wikimedia
5:42 PM and of course to know more just follow the link xSavitar shared
5:42 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi The link is just a section of the link you shared above. Nothing special about it.
5:43 PM
<africanhope> thank you both r054l13 and xSavitar
5:43 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi So the link above has everything including the section I shared.
5:43 PM
<r054l13> xSavitar: yeah
5:43 PM Any question? comment?
5:43 PM otherwise I move on with next point
5:44 PM going to next point ===>>>
5:45 PM forth point => Next Country to host AWMD event in Africa, who is it?
5:45 PM Who/what is it?
5:46 PM
<africanhope> r054l13: that's not me
5:46 PM
<r054l13> africanhope: haha
5:46 PM
<africanhope> xSavitar: did you add that point?
5:47 PM
<r054l13> we have a few contries on the list
5:47 PM
<africanhope> :)
5:47 PM
<r054l13> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Africa_Wikimedia_Developers_Project/Request_by_Country
5:47 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi africanhope: You can check the phab history!
5:48 PM
<r054l13> xSavitar: africanhope am a little lost here :/
5:49 PM could you share the phab link africanhope/xSavitar
5:49 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi Which link?
5:49 PM
<africanhope> xSavitar: what do you mean by checking phabricator history?
5:49 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi 17:46 (africanhope) xSavitar: did you add that point?
5:49 PM
<africanhope> r054l13: I guess I'm as lost as you here
5:49 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi I said check the phab history of the agenda to know who added it
5:49 PM I don't think I did
5:49 PM
<africanhope> xSavitar: ah I get it
5:50 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi That agenda was drafted by Rosalie, not me
5:50 PM
<r054l13> alright
5:50 PM
<africanhope> ah I see
5:50 PM
<r054l13> africanhope: Yes I added the point :)
5:50 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi brendajerop: Do you feel okay about hosting an AWMD even in Kenya?
5:50 PM
<africanhope> The plan was Nigeria and then Cameroon
5:50 PM
<r054l13> but it was open to changes
5:51 PM
<katy29> katy r0541l13:thank you
5:51 PM
<africanhope> Nigeria is done, then logically that's Cameroon. At least that's my understanding.
5:51 PM
<r054l13> xSavitar: The next Country is Cameroon I guess
5:51 PM africanhope: yeah
5:51 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi The country is not in good state
5:52 PM I'll not want to risk anybody's life to host an event
5:52 PM
<r054l13> ok ok
5:52 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi Cameroon is currently on hold until further notice
5:53 PM
<brendajerop> xSavitar: I'd love to..although I've never hosted an event before.
5:53 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi brendajerop: You can always learn.
5:53 PM
<brendajerop> xSavitar: Yes, I'm willing to learn
5:53 PM
<r054l13> brendajerop: you will be followed up don't worry
5:53 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi You'll have all the help you need brendajerop
5:54 PM
<brendajerop> xSavitar: r054l13: Sounds good :)
5:54 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi Make a request
5:55 PM Rosalie put a link "Request by Country" above
5:55 PM
<r054l13> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Africa_Wikimedia_Developers_Project/Request_by_Country
5:55 PM now below :)
5:57 PM any other person interested in hosting AWMD in his country, to encourage more volunteers from his country, should follow the link and leave a Request
5:57 PM
<brendajerop> xSavitar: To make a request, I need to add the country to the page?
5:58 PM
<africanhope> brendajerop: you'll need to create a new section
5:59 PM brendajerop: basically, if you edit the page, take a look at the previous sections in wikicode and create a new one by adapting the details
5:59 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi + a reason why the event should happen
6:00 PM
<brendajerop> xSavitar: africanhope: Will do that. Thanks
6:00 PM
<africanhope> brendajerop: coolio
6:01 PM
<r054l13> We will then evaluate the possibility of the event happening in you country and Host it.
6:01 PM your*
6:01 PM So next point ===>>>
6:01 PM
<africanhope> r054l13: yep
6:02 PM
<r054l13> Monthly statistics management and/or automation.
6:03 PM every month we use this tool https://tools.wmflabs.org/awmd-stats/raw/ to have statistics concerning contributions from Africa
6:04 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi https://tools.wmflabs.org/awmd-stats/ instead!
6:04 PM The /raw/ is a route for regeneration of the data
6:04 PM
<africanhope> (yeah cause I was like: that the right endpoint?)
6:04 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi in the db.json file.
6:04 PM
<r054l13> oh yeah sure
6:05 PM So it provides info on who made the greates number of patches and who made how many patches
6:06 PM it also provide info on what patch has been merged, abandoned or in review.
6:06 PM We can thank africanhope and xSavitar for that wow job, probably a few of you aswell.
6:07 PM So we need a volnteer that will every month update the ticket
6:07 PM where statistics are published
6:08 PM If I can recall xSavitar wanted someone else to do that
6:08 PM so anyone?
6:08 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline How is that done
6:09 PM
<r054l13> jenniline: if you are interested xSavitar can better explain to you and give you all resouces to do that
6:09 PM
<PaulWiki> Paul BOUAFFOU Thank and africanhope and xSavitar for this application awmd-stats
6:09 PM
<r054l13> it just a once per month job, so pretty simple and fun!
6:09 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline Alright I am interested then
6:09 PM
<africanhope> r054l13: +1 for the fun part
6:09 PM
<r054l13> africanhope: :)
6:10 PM
<africanhope> jenniline: overall it's some copy pasting stuff
6:10 PM
<r054l13> xSavitar: you have a candidate!!!
6:10 PM yeah!
6:10 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi jenniline: 1) it's not a job!
6:10 PM You'll not be paid for it
6:11 PM 2. You'll need to use the tool (for displaying stats) to build the page.
6:11 PM 3. For now, the tool attempts to do some calculation and ranking here: https://tools.wmflabs.org/awmd-stats/month-rank/2019-04
6:12 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline ok. I see
6:12 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi Though the calculation is not accurate for now as it doesn't use the ranking algorithm. It just uses the highest number of patches submitted
6:12 PM 4. Just use what the cool gives you here: https://tools.wmflabs.org/awmd-stats/month-rank/2019-04/wiki
6:12 PM *tool
6:13 PM And copy the first 3 directly to the phabricator task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T213581
6:14 PM jenniline: It's okay if you forget a few times, when its end of month, poke me on IRC here and we'll do it together
6:14 PM After doing it a few times, you'll know how to do it on your own.
6:14 PM jenniline: Sounds like a plan?
6:14 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline Yes cool
6:14 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi o/
6:14 PM
<r054l13> So we are at the end of the meeting. Remarks and Conclusions
6:15 PM ⇐ katy29 quit (~rolandeko@154.68.4.171) Ping timeout: 264 seconds
6:15 PM
<r054l13> any comment? question?
6:15 PM or anything someone has to say we did not discuss?
6:15 PM we still have 15 mins :)
6:15 PM → katy29 joined (~rolandeko@160.154.129.5)
6:16 PM
<africanhope> PaulWiki Abdoulaye jenniline katy29 tab1tha, any questions or comment from you guys?
6:17 PM
<r054l13> WELL!! I was happy to be part of this meeting and more happy to have met new enthusiast devs.
6:18 PM
<brendajerop> The AWMD wiki pages (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Africa_Wikimedia_Developers_Project and subpages) are now translatable. We can help translate to non-English languages:)
6:18 PM
<Abdoulaye> Fofana sorry I have no questions today
6:18 PM
<africanhope> Abdoulaye: it's totally fine
6:18 PM
<r054l13> brendajerop: of course
6:19 PM
<africanhope> brendajerop: good catch
6:19 PM thanks a lot for shepherding this meeting, r054l13
6:19 PM
<r054l13> Welcome!!
6:20 PM
<tab1tha> I have nothing more to say
6:20 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline xSavitar:can we talkk more about the task via email?
6:20 PM
<brendajerop> It was great to meet everyone
6:20 PM
<r054l13> Next meeting 10th of may.
6:20 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi Thank you all and especially to participants for their time and attendance. Stick around IRC, I'm always here if you have or want something new to learn in the wikiverse
6:21 PM
<r054l13> in the mean time, hang around irc, you will always meet someone to discuss with :)
6:21 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi jenniline: End of month on IRC is good.
6:21 PM It's a practical thing
6:21 PM
<r054l13> xSavitar: +1
6:21 PM
<PaulWiki> Paul BOUAFFOU No question
6:21 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline ok
6:22 PM
<•xSavitar> Derick Alangi Thank you r054l13 and africanhope for hosting!
6:23 PM
<PaulWiki> Paul BOUAFFOU I am very happy of this African Wikimedia Developers meeting on IRC
6:23 PM
<africanhope> xSavitar: you're welcome, mate
6:23 PM Cheers everyone and stick around/ stop by anytime for help
6:27 PM
<katy29> katy me neither, i have no question
6:27 PM ⇐ brendajerop, katy29 and PaulWiki quit ↔ wm-bot5 (was wm-bot5153) nipped out