Original wish (German): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Umfragen/Technische_W%C3%BCnsche/Beobachtungsliste
Update sites on-wiki:
- English: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes#Watchlist_Expiry
Here's the proposal from 2015, contributed by User:Derek Andrews:
"I would like to be able to set an expiry time for watchlist items, of say one week or one month. There are many pages that I do maintenance on or repair vandalism that I would like to watch for a brief period of time, but have no long term interest in. The UI I envisage would just have additional tick boxes: watch this page indefinitely, watch for one week; watch for one month."
Other reasons for short-term page watching:
- Watch a talk page of a user that you message for a response for a limited time
- Watch a page for a specified amount of time after a page protection expires
- Watch a page for a short amount of time after reverting vandalism on the page.
- Watch a time boxed discussion page for the length of the timebox
Scoping by TCB-Team:
Version 1.0: set-up a limited timeframe (view: edit normally), change the timeframe (view: edit normally), overview over timeframes (view: edit normally).
Version 2.0: set-up limited timeframe when adding article to watchlist (view:article), overview over timeframes and ability to change them (view: watchlist), warning about articles to be removed in 3 or less days (view: watchlist)
T8964: Watch pages for a few days only (add an expiry time) was merged into this one