Page MenuHomePhabricator

Thumbnail image on Commons not displayed
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

The picture belonging to the Text "Kaiserlicher Bezirk..." is not available. This is a screenshot from the german Wikipedia article about Byzanz:


When I click on it, I get the following message (screen shot):

Please correct the problem.

Event Timeline

Kaiser47 created this task.Jun 9 2015, 1:20 PM
Kaiser47 raised the priority of this task from to Normal.
Kaiser47 updated the task description. (Show Details)
Kaiser47 added a subscriber: Kaiser47.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJun 9 2015, 1:20 PM

Strange. How did I add myself as a subscriber?

Krenair added a subscriber: Krenair.Jun 9 2015, 1:23 PM

Can you link to the article please?

Sorry, I confused Byzanz and Konstantinople (what is essentially the same, but the topic of the article is "Konstantinopel").
The link is:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantinopel

Aklapper added a comment.EditedJun 9 2015, 1:45 PM

I cannot reproduce the problem with Firefox 38.

When I click on the image "Kaiserlicher Bezirk zwischen Hippodrom und Hagia Eirene" I get to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Constantinople_imperial_district.png (without MultimediaViewer) or to https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantinopel#/media/File:Constantinople_imperial_district.png (with MultimediaViewer).

Both display the image which URL is https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Constantinople_imperial_district.png/640px-Constantinople_imperial_district.png (which is the same as in your error message).

Which browser is this about?

What is the exact error message that you get when manually accessing https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Constantinople_imperial_district.png/640px-Constantinople_imperial_district.png
?

Aklapper renamed this task from Missing picture to Thumbnail image on Commons not displayed.Jun 9 2015, 1:47 PM
Aklapper raised the priority of this task from Normal to Needs Triage.
Aklapper set Security to None.
Restricted Application added a project: Multimedia. · View Herald TranscriptJun 9 2015, 1:47 PM

Hello,
Now the picture is displayed. Did you change anything?
I used the Safari browser under Mac OS 10.6.8.
The browser Firefox shows the same picture.
Thanks for resolving the problem!

Tgr closed this task as Resolved.Jun 9 2015, 5:05 PM
Tgr claimed this task.
Tgr added a subscriber: Tgr.

Could have been a network error, or a one-time error on the scalers, such as a timeout.

The deeper issue is that the error reports are not so useful, they should at least include the HTTP status. Filed that as T101855.

Hi there,
It wasn't a one-time error. I tried it several times and the error persisted.
Also, Safari is a very stable browser.
I don't know how your documents are linked together. If this is done via an SQL database, perhaps unexpected duplicate search results are possible (dependent on the key structure). In this case, a program may have misinterpreted the error feedback from the database (if a singleton SELECT was intended) and it may have taken as the expected query result row what it found in its memory. Restarting such a program may result in spurious, unrepeatable and seemingly unexplainable errors for other users (if it is multithreaded or using multitasking).

It wasn't a one-time error

See above: Could have been [...] a one-time error on the scalers (emphasis by me). You can with your browser multiple times into a one-time error if that one-time error simply happens long enough...