ECT, WMF Travel and EMGT will agree on a plan for travel and travel approvals to Jerusalem and Esino Lario.
in the 2015/2016 fiscal year we will have smaller travel budget which will be controlled by individual managers instead of the VP of engineering. Both the Wikimania Hackathon and the Wikimedia Hackathon will also be smaller in size, accommodating fewer WMF staff than the previous year with earlier and harder deadlines for finalizing travel approvals and booking travel.
Taking these constraints into consideration we will need to come up with a new approval process.
It will likely look something like this:
- ECT/Travel agree on deadlines for final approvals and final bookings
- ECT will send out a survey to Engineering@ and people will apply for an event and provide information about event contributions.
- ECT will review and approve people from engineering to attend, some people will be turned down
- ECT will run approved lists by managers and get budget approval, some people will be turned down
- ECT will provide this list to Travel / Event teams
- People who are not booked by travel deadlines will not attend
Things to consider:
- Can some people with good plans go to both events while people with no plans go to neither?
- Can managers request for a team member to attend who does not put forward a good plan of contribution?
- Deadlines will likely be in advance of speakers getting talks approved at Wikimania, what happens in those cases?
- What are the travel deadlines and why?
- What exceptions are OK? What are not.
- How do people deal with vacations before and after events? traveling with family to events? These may not be able to be supported by the travel team any longer. Also, families are welcome at events however there should be some guidelines and rules of participation (example: you should not leave the hackathon during the middle of the day to sightsee with family. OR Does the family member need to pay a registration fee to eat at the event?)
Please comment if you have any thoughts or things to add. I will focus on this more after Wikimania.