Page MenuHomePhabricator

Clean up redirects.conf/redirects.dat (remove en2.wikipedia.org, etc.)
Open, LowPublic

Description

It looks like redirects.conf/redirects.dat in operations-puppet/modules/mediawiki/files/apache/sites/ needs a bit of cleanup.

For example, en2.wikipedia.org was removed in rODNSd5b90391ce6ed72f2e3c127ea2a7aa337b9c7a82 but still is included. I imagine there are other oddities like that.

Event Timeline

MZMcBride raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.
MZMcBride updated the task description. (Show Details)
MZMcBride added a subscriber: MZMcBride.

Change 224989 had a related patch set uploaded (by Dzahn):
remove en2.wikipedia.org from redirects

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/224989

Change 224989 merged by Dzahn:
remove en2.wikipedia.org from redirects

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/224989

Glaisher removed projects: Patch-For-Review, DNS.
Glaisher set Security to None.
Glaisher added a subscriber: Glaisher.

Change 225041 had a related patch set uploaded (by Glaisher):
Remove several dead domains from redirects

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/225041

Change 225041 merged by Dzahn:
Remove several dead domains from redirects

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/225041

I ran a script through the list, then did some extra filtering manually, and these domains are referenced but don't seem to resolve properly:
wikimediacommons.pt - not in our DNS, but registered to the foundation
wikiversity.net - not in our DNS, registered to unknown individual
wikimediacommons.eu - rODNSdff1d5b435ef: deactivate wikimediacommons.[co.uk|eu|info|jp.net|mobi|net|org]
wikipedia.co.uk - rODNS6658b4fb7bed: add wikipedia.co.uk as parked domain
wekipedia.com - rODNSb90ac9e34996: deactivate wekipedia.com
indiawikipedia.com - rODNS5c4c0a1c5dd9: deactivate indiawikipedia.com
wikimediastories.com - rODNSb86d5293b80a: deactivate wiki[p|m]ediastories.[com|net|org]
wikimediastories.net - rODNSb86d5293b80a: deactivate wiki[p|m]ediastories.[com|net|org]
wikimediastories.org - rODNSb86d5293b80a: deactivate wiki[p|m]ediastories.[com|net|org]
wikipediastories.com - rODNSb86d5293b80a: deactivate wiki[p|m]ediastories.[com|net|org]
wikipediastories.net - rODNSb86d5293b80a: deactivate wiki[p|m]ediastories.[com|net|org]
wikipediastories.org - rODNSb86d5293b80a: deactivate wiki[p|m]ediastories.[com|net|org]

Does not point to wikimedia servers:
wikisource.cz
wikibook.org
wikibooks.de
www.wikibooks.de
wikiversity.info

Change 285084 had a related patch set uploaded (by Alex Monk):
Get rid of redirects for non-resolving/parked domains

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/285084

Change 285084 merged by Dzahn:
[operations/puppet] apache: Get rid of redirects for non-resolving/parked domains

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/285084

Dzahn - 03-16 17:30

Patch Set 1: Code-Review+1
yes, i removed most (all) of these myself from DNS in the past


double checked, they are all dead..merged and removed from config

ping: unknown host wikipedia.co.uk
ping: unknown host wekipedia.com
ping: unknown host wikiversity.net
ping: unknown host wikimediacommons.eu
ping: unknown host wikimediacommons.pt
ping: unknown host indiawikipedia.com
ping: unknown host wikimediastories.com
ping: unknown host wikimediastories.net
ping: unknown host wikimediastories.org
ping: unknown host wikipediastories.com
ping: unknown host wikipediastories.net
ping: unknown host wikipediastories.org

the next one in the dependency chain is: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/322602/

which i +1ed and looks trivial enough

Krenair removed a project: Patch-For-Review.