Page MenuHomePhabricator

Change user namespace name for Latvian Wikipedia
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Please, change name of user namespace in Latvian Wikipedia, and enable gender distinction. Of course, keep Lietotājs and Lietotāja diskusija as aliases.

So:

  • Lietotājs -> Dalībnieks
  • Lietotāja diskusija -> Dalībnieka diskusija

and

$wgExtraGenderNamespaces = array(
	NS_USER => array( 'male' => 'Dalībnieks', 'female' => 'Dalībniece' ),
	NS_USER_TALK => array( 'male' => 'Dalībnieka_diskusija', 'female' => 'Dalībnieces_diskusija' )
);

Community consensus

Event Timeline

Edgars2007 raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.
Edgars2007 updated the task description. (Show Details)
Edgars2007 added a subscriber: Edgars2007.
Restricted Application added subscribers: Matanya, Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJul 22 2015, 12:23 PM
Glaisher added a subscriber: Glaisher.

Can we do this for all lv wikis rather than just Latvian Wikipedia?

Krenair set Security to None.
Krenair added a subscriber: Krenair.
Edgars2007 updated the task description. (Show Details)Jul 29 2015, 12:31 PM
MarcoAurelio triaged this task as Low priority.
MarcoAurelio added a project: good first bug.

I don't think we add good first bug for config tasks.

Change 234981 had a related patch set uploaded (by MarcoAurelio):
Changing user and user talk namespace name for Latvian wikis

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/234981

Change 234981 merged by jenkins-bot:
Changing user and user talk namespace name for Latvian wikis

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/234981

MarcoAurelio closed this task as Resolved.Aug 31 2015, 8:00 PM

The patch I submitted has been merged, the change will have effect in the next days or weeks. Thanks.

Edgars2007 reopened this task as Open.Jan 14 2016, 11:43 AM

@MarcoAurelio @Glaisher
Gender distinction part isn't working. See for example this page. The page title should be "Dalībniece:Ingii", because she has set her gender as woman.

No, I didn't notice it only now, I just finally decided to bring this to you.

I see, that Latvian has wgExtraGenderNamespaces variable, but Germans are using namespaceGenderAliases (I assume, this is the right file; couldn't find anything else) variable. That is the issue?

Language::getGenderNsText() looks for both $wgExtraGenderNamespaces and $namespaceGenderAliases and just combines those two arrays to get the gender text so technically these variables should actually have the same effect from what I see. $namespaceGenderAliases is just an "internal" global variable while the $wgExtraGenderNamespaces is a config variable for use by sysadmins. I do not know why it's not taking effect.

I just looked at wmf-config. The default set for $wgExtraGenderNamespaces overrides the core config and sets it back to array() again.

Change 264298 had a related patch set uploaded (by Glaisher):
Change $wgExtraGenderNamespaces to $namespaceGenderAliases in MessagesLv

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/264298

Change 264298 merged by jenkins-bot:
Change $wgExtraGenderNamespaces to $namespaceGenderAliases

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/264298

Glaisher closed this task as Resolved.Jan 15 2016, 5:45 PM

Change will take effect with the next core update.