Page MenuHomePhabricator

Create meta.m.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org
Closed, ResolvedPublic0 Estimate Story Points

Description

We need this beta subdomain to behave like meta.m.wikimedia.org. There are a few things hitting the beta meta mobile URL and no such host exists, which is breaking some urgent smoke testing we'd like to do on CentralNotice.

Event Timeline

awight created this task.Aug 26 2015, 3:20 AM
awight raised the priority of this task from to High.
awight updated the task description. (Show Details)
awight added subscribers: awight, AndyRussG.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptAug 26 2015, 3:20 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Luke081515. · View Herald TranscriptAug 26 2015, 3:26 AM

I looked at https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:NovaAddress for deployment-prep and could not see how the *non-mobile* domain is configured. When you go to "Add host name" there is a strange "DNS domain" dropdown, which seems to be related to Special:NovaDomain (requires cloudadmin access) - I found some interesting things in the result of var_dump( OpenStackNovaDomain::getAllDomains() );, including a reference to m.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org ('m-wikimedia-beta' DNS domain option in the dropdown)

Since this is urgent, I used "Add host name" on deployment-cache-mobile04, and added a 'meta' host with the m-wikimedia-beta domain. http://meta.m.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/ now shows the domain not configured error instead

alex@alex-laptop:~/Development/Wikimedia/Operations-Puppet (master)$ grep "m\." modules/mediawiki/files/apache/beta/* -R
modules/mediawiki/files/apache/beta/sites/www.wikipedia.conf:    ServerName m.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org
alex@alex-laptop:~/Development/Wikimedia/Operations-Puppet (master)$

I think someone just forgot to set up these apache configs properly. Or perhaps they forgot we're not just wikipedia...
Also, why is the only file in modules/mediawiki/files/apache/beta/sites beginning 'www.' the wikipedia one?

I guess all of the MediaWiki sites in beta (which aren't under *.wikipedia.org) should be set up in apache config to have mobile subdomains too.

I don't want to mess around with puppet on beta right now, since the disk on the puppetmaster may be corrupt.

Woohoo, removing the blocked task link so you can finish cleaning up the docs etc.--the test banners appear now, e.g. http://en.m.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page?debug=true&device=ipad

greg set Security to None.

Thanks, all!! :)

awight closed this task as Resolved.Aug 26 2015, 5:07 AM
awight claimed this task.

Confirmed working. Blindingly fast!

awight reopened this task as Open.Aug 26 2015, 5:19 AM

Sorry, reading Krenair's comments I see that there might be more work to do here, once the puppet corruption is resolved.

jayvdb renamed this task from Create meta.m.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org to Create meta.m.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org.Aug 26 2015, 9:53 AM
Krenair closed this task as Resolved.EditedAug 26 2015, 8:14 PM

I just did https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/234024/, set up *.m.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org, and removed the individual hosts I had created for meta and commons

awight edited a custom field.Sep 11 2015, 12:56 AM