There are a number of usability problems with the boilerplate share and copyright texts:
- currently all clicks and keyboard events are suppressed to make sure the text always stays selected. This makes it impossible to copy parts of the text and also prevents some scrolling methods (keyboard, dragging selection). It also makes reading the text harder since selection colors are not optimized for that. Most similar interfaces select all text when the widget is focused and allow normal behavior (ie. deselecting) when the widget is clicked again while focused.
- some keys have special meaning (ie. right arrow navigates to the next image); this should be suppressed while the textarea is focused. (But then we need to make this obvious otherwise the user might accidentally focus it and not understand why navigation does not work anymore...)
- there are some bugs causing text not to be selected sometimes (see patch)
- depending on the browser, the readonly attribute might interfere with keyboard navigation/selection
- the user still needs to press Ctrl-C or whatever. There should be a "select me" button (T77295)
- embed uses textarea, but the other screens use a single-line input which is even more horrible
See also: T69835