Following our meeting discussing thumbnailing architecture changes, it seems to me like an open source service might be able to solve most of our problems, at least for the biggest formats (JPG, PNG). Thumbor is the most promising candidate.
I would like to verify that it can:
- be as fast as our current invoking IM directly
- host thumbnails with URLs based on the image content (hash)
- easily and efficiently purge the various sizes of a given image
- support LRU caching, automatically getting rid of thumbnails that haven't been accessed in a while
- be extended easily to support more input formats
My strategy will be to hack it into a vagrant VM and hook it up to mediawiki in a crude way.