Merge localisation updates
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

L10n-bot is not allowed to merge translations, and I am not allowed +2 in the repo. Please review and merge https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/237337/

siebrand created this task.Sep 10 2015, 8:45 AM
siebrand updated the task description. (Show Details)
siebrand raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.
siebrand added a subscriber: siebrand.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptSep 10 2015, 8:45 AM

@siebrand we are in the middle of rebuilding the UI/UX of the app - so are not merging localization updates until the UI is completed since the string requirements will be different than the current shipping app.

Expect us to loop back around to this later this month.

Also when you need to file a bug, please use the product board here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/782/

This board is one for work that has been groomed, speed, and estimated. Thanks!

we are in the middle of rebuilding the UI/UX of the app - so are not merging localization updates until the UI is completed since the string requirements will be different than the current shipping app.

I don't understand what this means. This is l10n for the latest code, you want it now not later.
Also, "merging l10n when the UI is complete" is a practice which got old in the 1980s. Please join us in the 21st century. :)

@Nemo_bis @siebrand There are already plans to adapt localization workflows to the new repo setup (T95733) and the audit new UI (T105532), so rest assured this isn't being forgotten.

Localizations aren't the only thing that are on hold, and we realize it's not an ideal situation. We're working hard to get the app ready for release, and hope to get everything back to normal soon.

If this patch is not merged, I see no use in having this application translatable in translatewiki.net. Please provide clarity.

From the messages above it seems the maintainers plan to discard the current strings later. If so, better disable the product for now.

Change 239035 had a related patch set uploaded (by Nemo bis):
Disable translation of the Wikipedia iOS app

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/239035

revi added a subscriber: revi.Sep 17 2015, 8:33 AM

@Nemo_bis @siebrand to clarify, nobody said we're going to discard all the current translations.

I spoke briefly with @Nikerabbit who mentioned it would be feasible to push localization changes directly to master on GitHub. Here's what I'm thinking:

  1. Manually "merge" localization changes from current Gerrit patch
  2. Remove TWN pages related to .strings files that were removed on master (localizations ported to another file)
  3. Reconfigure TWN to push future updates directly to our master branch

I can take care of #1, could one of you help me with #2 if I tell you the files that need to be removed? If so, we could re-establish sync and resolve this issue now.

Manually "merge" localization changes from current Gerrit patch

See https://github.com/wikimedia/wikipedia-ios/pull/119

Now, just need to adapt TWN to push to master on GitHub instead.

Change 239035 abandoned by Nikerabbit:
Disable translation of the Wikipedia iOS app

Reason:
Issues were resolved and translations are be synced to github repo now.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/239035

This is resolved now, right?

BGerstle-WMF closed this task as Resolved.Sep 25 2015, 1:23 PM

@Nikerabbit yes, thanks. We usually don't resolve feature work until it's deployed, but seeing as this is technical and we're not likely to deploy for some time yet, I'll mark it as resolved and re-open as necessary.