When deciding what to translate, users prefer topics of their interest or in their knowledge area.
We can consider providing some control on the kind of suggestions provided.
This ticket proposes to expand the current suggestions from the translation dashboard to customize the suggestions provided. Three kinds of options are supported:
- Automatic. Automatic approaches for users to get suggestions on different topics:
- "Previous edits" for suggestions based on previous editing activity. This is the current default approach when the user has made previous edits.
- "Popular topics" general suggestions based on frequently viewed articles. This is the current default when users have no previous edits.
- "Nearby topics" Topic close to the user location, using the nearby APIs.
- "Active campaigns" Community-requested pages to be translated as parts of campaigns or similar configurations.
- Topics. A predefined set of top-level topic categories from topic models (initial mockups were using vital articles list).
- Search. Option for users to search for any Wikipedia page to use as a seed (i.e., get similar suggestions).
The example below illustrates these ideas. You can also check the prototype
Switch suggestion topic
Suggestions include an indicator of where are those coming from ("from previous edits"). This can be used to select a different type of suggestion:
The search option provides additional flexibility for those interested in a much more specific topic: