The new Wikimedia maps service is now actively used at Wikivoyage, but now we need a good vision for the maps future at Wikipedia. Come discuss these and other ideas about maps.
The new maps service generates tiles, but at the moment we do not have a coherent client/wiki-side support for it, forcing various labs-based implementations. Kartographer extension attempts to solve that, but it needs some serious discussion on what features it should provide. Features should include extra data to show on the map specific to the article, static server-side map generation with layers, etc.
See also T115290 and the extension page
Time permitting, we may also look into other topics. Feel free to add more ideas to this list.
- Decide cartographic goals for our map style - As T113912 describes, we need to establish what map style(s) we want for Wikipedia articles. What kinds of maps would illustrate different types of articles better? What information should we sabdue/hide so as not to interfere with the article's content? Style guide is what map designers will use when designing our new styles.
- Extension replacing GeoHack - what should happen when users click on geo coordinates? What functionality is needed?
- GeoData needs support for returning results over a wide area T112033
- Migrate VE maps plugin to use the new service (should be enabled in Wikivoyage only)
- Allow 3D model (e.g. buildings) storage in Commons T107410
- Allow GeoJSON storage in Commons
- Make Mapnik handle hstore (dictionary) values