Design doc: https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/document/d/1mcK712QyBrpauMJZ6mTglUyPWLdBHkmThlcMPWV6pOw/edit?usp=sharing
Zeplin: https://zpl.io/Z21KiN7 | Tags: T118297 View article on a map, Maps
Summary of project
Create new entrance points for users to the Map tab to encourage use of the Map tab and provide increased value for users.
Why are we doing this?
To demonstrate additional use cases for the Map tab. To provide rich and novel information about Wikipedia articles to users.
Explore feed T155795
While I am looking through my explore feed I sometimes see articles with geographic locations, I'd like to be able to view these articles on a map. I'd like to be able to view the article on a map without having to type in the article name on the Nearby tab.
On article T155796
When reading an article with geographic coordinates or an article about a specific location I sometimes want to view these geographic locations or articles on a map. I'd like to be able to see any and all mentioned coordinates on a map at the same time.
- Allow users to be able to interact (tap, force press) with location article cells in the same way they were able to before this feature (no overriding of previous interactions)
- No cell design changes
- Utilize pre-existing icons
- Fit into a pre-existing template
- Should Maplinks and location based articles be counted for the Article view cell?
- Is it possible to tell which linked articles have locations?
- How should geographic coordinates not associated with articles be represented on the map?
- Would it be possible in the future to represent the articles location on a map (graphically) near the top of the article?
Future goals / ideas
Swiping on a cell for an article with a location shows a swipe menu. The swipe menu has three options: View on a map (opens to map tab centered on pin for the article), Save for later (adds article to Saved article list), and Share (opens up Share action sheet)
For location based articles with a single geographic location the design team would like to find a way to represent the article’s location on a map (graphically) near the top of the article.
- Force press / 3D touch of a cell for an article with a location shows an action menu under the article peek. The action menu has four options: Read now (opens article), Save for later (adds article to Saved article list), [NEW] View on map (opens to map tab centered on pin for the article), and Share (opens up Share action sheet).
- If an article has no geographic coordinates do not show the “View locations in article on a map” cell.
- If the article has or more geographic coordinates show the “View locations in article on a map” cell with the number of coordinates as the subheader.
- Clicking on the “View locations in article on a map” cell opens the map tab centered on the location pin associated with the article if there is only one location or zoomed out to show all pins associated with the article if there are multiple locations.
- For coordinates that have an article associated with them, represent the coordinate with the featured article image for that article if available or with a default ‘W’ pin. Clicking on this pin will show more information about the article / lead the user to a path to view the article.
- For coordinates that do not have a Wikipedia article associated with them will require a different treatment and click path, which is yet to be designed.
Quick fix is to use same long press as 4.x for "Open in Maps" button:
If 3d touch present show as option beneath peek.