https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Creating_and_renaming_projects is still complex enough that many people fail to follow all these guidelines. Recent examples are in T103700 and T118105.
Can we more often / better avoid that corrections need to be made?
I propose to have a checklist on that page which people who want to have a project can follow.
Basically (please edit / improve):
So you want a project?
- Check https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management if you need a project
- Decide which type of project you request: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Creating_and_renaming_projects#Type_of_project
- Come up with a clear name (see below) and a description (see below).
- Should your project not be fully public and open for everybody? If you think there are good reasons, read https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Creating_and_renaming_projects#Policy. There are also entirely private Spaces (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Creating_and_renaming_projects#Requesting_a_Space) which require filing a task under https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=Project-Creators to request their its creation.
- Are you a member of https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/project-creators/ ? If yes:
- Is the project of the type "tag" or "ACL" (e.g. for a Space)? If so, file a task to propose and discuss the project before creating it.
- Is the project of the type "sprint" or "release"? You are done.
- Is the project of any other type? If so, create the project and (if required for that type, see above) document its creation by adding a comment to https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T103700
- If you are not member of https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/project-creators/ :
- File a task under https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/create/?projects=Project-Creators which includes the Name, Description, and Type of project. If you think your project should not be fully public and open for everybody, provide good reasons.
- If you have to create projects regularly or more often, consider asking for "project-creators" membership by providing your reasons in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T706
Add to "Name" section on wikipage: as the entire community shares Phabricator's flat "Projects" namespace
Add to "Description" section on wikipage: should allow everybody, also outside Wikimedia, to clearly understand what the project is about. Adding links to more info (e.g. wikipages) is strongly encouraged.