This is a potential area for work at Wikimedia-Developer-Summit-2016. "Content format" is about the format of our data, with a primary emphasis on the future of Wikitext & markup (or possibly, the future of eliminating it).
How do we make manipulating our data easier and more useful (both for humans and computers)?
Alternative version (2015-12-30): What format should we use for the authoritative version of our essential content to make accessing and manipulating it easier and more useful (both for humans and computers)?
Main session: Robertson 1: Monday, 2pm
General discussion of our 2016 strategy for dealing with our central problem. This includes:
- Establishing the shared questions, challenges, vision
- What we should head for? (e.g. move primary data out of SQL-based data stores into key-value stores? Should we use Cassandra and RESTbase as stable primary storage)
- Timeline and clarity of path
The goal of this session will be to capture a document that can be the first wiki draft as a charter for this area.
Summary of the other session priorities so far
- Some combination of the following with @dr0ptp4kt + @GWicke
- Skinning/presentation - @Isarra - possible combination of
- T112991: Semantic image styles / beautiful layout @cscott
- T112987: Separating infoboxes and navboxes from article content/T114251: [RFC] Magic Infobox implementation @cscott + @hoo
Nice to have
- Combined session: T114072: <section> tags for MediaWiki sections /T114445: [RFC] Balanced templates @cscott
- T107595: [RFC] Multi-Content Revisions - @daniel
- T114454: [RFC] Visual Templates: Authoring templates with Visual Editor,
- T113002: Let's discuss LanguageConverter (including T484: RfC: Scoped language converter)
- T112987: Separating infoboxes and navboxes from article content
- T114432: [RFC] Heredoc arguments for templates (aka "hygienic" or "long" arguments)
- T99088: [RFC] Evolving our content platform: Content adaptability, structured data and caching
- T55784: Use Parsoid HTML for all page views
Not at summit
Withdrawn by author
Other working areas (and the meta conversations about the idea of working areas) can/should be found here: T119018: Working groups/areas for macro-organization of RfCs for the summit