I am attempting to install the Math extension on MW 1.26.0. While I was able to successfully install Mathjax in MW 1.25, I have completely failed with installation in MW 1.26 now that Mathjax support has been removed. After several hours I am having to give up although I have some experience with MW 1.19 and 1.25 and Debian/Ubuntu and feel that with even moderately clear instructions this should not be beyond me.
I put this down to a lack of clarity on the extension page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math which seems to be a "hodgepodge" of information and lack of clarity on how to install and configure Mathoid. I believe major revamp is necessary to clarify:
- What is possible in which versions of Mediawiki. Math support seems to have substantially changed between different versions, and the configuration options between versions don't seem to function well. While the section 'Configuration' tries to cover this, it never quite gets there.
- What would be preferable is a single section for a simple installation with: texvc, mathml, texml and with subsections for options and increased complexity.
- For instance constants like MW_MATH_LATEXML generate an error when using the update.php script even if rightly included after the include of Math.php. I suggest that in the "List of all configuration settings" the relevant versions of Mediawiki be placed to provide clarity on which configuration settings apply to which versions.
- A clear link between the options in the user preferences dialog for math display and the options available and some simple test sequences in the installation instructions would help.
- Providing instructions for installation of Mathoid. Nothing much on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mathoid appears to be true. Debian does not allow add-apt-repository so these instructions must be for Ubuntu. Some Debian instructions as per the heading would be helpful.
- Mathoid when installed via npm on the Mathoid page silently exits when run using node mathoid or nodejs mathoid on Debian Jessie 8.2. Adding debug options does not appear to help this.
- Installing Mathoid based on the "run from source" needs to be clearer. Presumably Ubuntu instructions? sudo apt-get install node npmn phantomjs fails as there is no npmn package or phantomjs package. Is that a typo for npmn=>npm? Should build instructions similar to https://gist.github.com/julionc/7476620 be followed for phantomjs?
- What are the required versions for Mathoid of node, npm and phantomjs (1.9?,2?).
- Connecting Mathoid to Mediawiki is not discussed on either the Mathoid or Mediawiki page. Presumably it can be set up on the same host and an appropriate port and I get this impression by looking at the configuration options. However some explicit 'typical configuration' information would be helpful.
- Providing instructions for use of latexml with an external provider would help. I gather a web service could be use for a small wiki installation like mine but for the life of me I cannot figure out how :-(
Happy to carry out testing or comment on any revised instructions but unfortunately lacking the ability to do it myself. Really keen on Mediawiki and the ability to enter Math but struggling with the information presentation as it stands.