How it works if the URL is pre-existing:
- Select the footnote that contains a bare URL, such as http://www.example.com
- See the "Convert" option in the context menu.
- Click the Convert button.
- Be happy.
How it works if I just added the URL:
- Click Cite > Manual > Basic and insert a ref containing only a bare URL.
- Realized that this is a mistake, and decide to try the citoid service.
- Select the footnote to get the context menu. No Convert button.
- Click the Cite button to choose Automatic. My URL isn't pre-filled, and it looks like it's inserting a second ref.
- Be sad.
Desired result: Happiness. Also, less link-rot.