We can show map as:
- static image - server generated PNG image -- very fast to load, optimal for slow connections / low power devices (e.g. mobile phones, desktops over dial-up)
- dynamic - downloads leaflet js lib + tiles + geojson data -- very flexible, allows zooming & panning of the map
- link (popup) -- map is shown as an href that shows the map when clicked. We could show it center of the screen or full screen
- maximize/restore buttons -- for static & dynamic maps, show a button to make the map full screen or shrink it back to the original size
- data (hidden) -- data only mode, nothing is shown
The question is how many of these modes should be editor controllable, and how many should be decided by the specifics of the user browser/connection.
The current proposal is documented at the extension page.