In nearly every other interface within MediaWiki the controls for managing content is above the actual content. That's not the case in Echo. The controls for "All Notifications" and "Preferences" is in the footer of the popup.
Examples of other interfaces with 'top' controls:
- Navigation menu (Username, Talk, Preferences, Watchlist, etc)
- Tabs for Read, Edit, View History
- Wikitext editor
- Nearly (all?) Special: pages (RecentChanges, Contributions, etc.)
A few reasons to move these controls to the top:
- Consistency with the rest of the experience using MediaWiki
- Less distance to travel to reach these controls for folks with Repetitive strain injury or other mobility concerns
- As someone with a mildly active notification list, the controls can sometimes be an entire screen height away from where I activate the notifications popup.
Other web services that have similar notifications where controls are at the top:
- Twitter (Desktop)