Due to the fact that now the same bot send nomination notices and does the archiving, users are notified when the nomination notice is archived.
roughly 3 options that can be quick:
- Don't let the bot sign the nomination message
- Change the bot signature to something non-standard so it doesn't trigger a ping.
- Have the nomination messages done by a different bot account.
The first two will also stop the pings done when the nomination message is placed first, which is a choice.
I also asked the question on #wikimedia-tech if a bot edit with bot-flag is supposed to trigger a ping.
Possible solution: On-wiki blacklist per https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Echo#Usage . That will block all Echo notifications triggered by the bot, but I think you'll still see the orange bar (since the bot posts nominations on user talk).
Using a bot flag (edit bot=1) or not is a way to (not) trigger orange bars, does that work the same way for echo notifications?
- Edit without bot flag: I want to see an orange bar and get an echo notification if I get mentioned
- Edit with bot flag: I don't want to see an orange bar and I don't want to get an echo notification when I get mentioned