There are a lot of "events" related to page creation and editing that users might want to be notified of. MediaWiki provides the "Watchlist" functionality for being notified of changes to pages in a pre-selected lists. In addition, there are a few extensions that provide notification functionality, such as WhoIsWatching, Semantic Watchlist and PageCreationNotif. However, these extensions all cover relatively small subsets of all the types of page-related notification that could be done within a wiki.
Ideally, MediaWiki could have an extension that provides a much greater range of notification options related to page creation and editing.
What might this extension encompass?
A notification might happen after any of the following actions:
- Creation of new pages
- Edits to existing pages
- Changes in a specific template field
- Changes of a specific template field to a specific value
...within any of the following sets of pages:
- All pages
- All pages in one or more namespaces
- All pages in one or more categories
- Some specified list of pages
...and the following people could be notified:
- Users in one more user groups
- Users in a pre-specified list
- Users who sign up to be notified
- Possibly email addresses not related to MediaWiki users
...and notification would be done by some subset of:
- The Echo extension
- A special page on the wiki, listing the recent changes
- Calling a hook, to let other extensions perform their own actions
Altogether this is 4 * 4 * 4 * 4 = 256 combinations, and though most combinations do not need to be explicitly coded in order to work, it would still take a lot of work to make the extension complete. Still, the key thing is to have the extension provide a *framework* for all this functionality, so that, for whatever the missing features were, it would be obvious how the user interface and code for them should be constructed.
You can see more about this idea (mostly a breakdown of the current set of notification extensions) in slides 14-22 of this talk I gave at SMWCon Spring 2015: