We're preparing a survey about user habits and preferences regarding Notifications. For this survey, we're interested in soliciting participation via a message in the Notifications panel using the device described here T117669. This feels highly appropriate for this particular effort and seems likely to get good participation. (However, at this time we don't envision using this method for non-notification outreach.)
- Design mockup:
- Wording: Provide feedback: take this quick survey about notifications.
- Note: this should be written in such a way that longer translations will simply wrap to a second line.
- Feedback icon:
- "Info" and "close" icons are available as such in the icon repo.
- Survey Link: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eRMpgEPhVcUEkn3
- Dismiss [X]: clicking the X permanently dismisses the invitation for that user on that wiki.
- Information [?] tooltip/hover text: This feedback link is designed to help Wikimedia developers learn more about how people use Notifications so we continue to improve the tool. Clicking the survey link will send you to a third-party website.
- Proposed target audience:
- Show the invitation to users on all English wikis (to start) WHO...
- ...currently have more than 5 unread notifications.
- Note: we must be able to disable the invitation quickly when we’ve reached our survey limit.
- Closing the survey:
- Once we’ve reached the limit, a custom message will be displayed that says something like “This survey is now closed. If you would like to share your feedback about Notifications, you can do it here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Notifications”
- Once we’ve reached the limit, Jonathan will email email@example.com to request the survey link be removed.
- Once we evaluate the survey results, we will follow this up with another round aimed at French speakers.
- Timing: Once this is ready, we’ll schedule a time for it to go live (to give Jonathan time to turn on the survey).