Please correct the names of namespaces in Goan Konkani (gom-deva)
In each of the following cases, although the current namespace name is a Konkani word, it is not a commonly-used word, and the translations in http://translatewiki.net all use the word that we are proposing to change to. This creates a disconnect in users' minds, because the localised messages all use one term, and the namespace names are a different, obscure word.
|Namespace||Presently used name||Correct Konkani name|
|Help talk||मजत चर्चा||आदार चर्चा|
|Category talk||श्रेणी चर्चा||वर्ग चर्चा|
|User talk||उपेगकर्तो चर्चा||वापरपी चर्चा|
The change must be made in gom-deva, because gom falls back to gom-deva.
Managing the effect of the changes on existing links
I have done a small study about how the existing links to these namespaces will be affected:
- Media: 0 Media pages and 0 links to Media pages exist on the Konkani wikipedia, so no action needed.
- Help: 2 Help pages exist, with only one link to a Help page, so this one link can be manually changed.
- Help talk: 0 Help talk pages and 0 links to Help talk pages exist, so no action needed.
- User and User talk: Nearly all links are from signatures on talk and discussion pages, so this would be a minor inconvenience if not handled. A handful of links are from project pages, these can easilt be updated manually.
- Category and Category talk: We would have to manage the links to these pages, because links to categories exist on every article. I prefer not to add aliases, because it increases server load, reduces performance, and introduces non-uniformity in linking to the respective namespaces. I would prefer to run a one-time script that would update the category links on all pages. This script could also handle the links to User and User talk pages. For example Pywikibot's replace.py could be used, but I think that Pywikibot has not been installed on the Konkani Wikipedia yet. The same could also be done by AWB.