Name: Sayli Karnik
E-mail address: email@example.com
IRC nick: sayli
Time zone: UTC + 5:30 hours
Education : Will be graduating from Sardar Patel institute of technology in 2017
Major : Computer Engineering
Do I meet the eligibility requirements outlined at https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy#Eligibility?
Preferred pronoun : she
Am I applying for Google Summer of Code and, if so, with what organization(s)?
I am applying to the Wikimedia foundation as a part of GSoC.
How did I hear about this program?
I heard about the Outreachy program from past interns.
Project title: LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS (T120738)
Whenever content is copied from one project to another or outside a wiki, maintaining a list of contributors would be very useful. Currently there is no such provision that is robust and effective.
The project aims at including such a list in the mediawiki software by analyzing the page history,
thus helping to gauge the page activity and provide appreciation to the contributors. It will also provide users the ability to sort and filter the list as per various aspects. The project idea was ranked #59 out of 107 proposals at wikimedia.
The proposed project aims at creating a mediawiki extension to :
Display a list of contributors to a page/subpage on click of a drop down button named ‘Contributors’ on a page
The list consists of corresponding information such as
-Name of contributor
-Number of edits
-Date of last edit
-The edit comments
An option to select among the following filters to filter the list
-user holds an account?
An option to sort the list based on following criteria:
-Alphabetical order of usernames
-Ascending order of date of last edit
-Highest number of edits
Work done yet :
- I have joined the mailing list and have been communicating via IRC (MediaWiki-General, #wikimedia-mobile).
- I have made phabricator, wikitech and gerrit accounts.(Username:sayli-karnik)
- The MediaWiki development environment has been set up.
- I am used to the coding conventions, basic flow of the codebase.
- I have contributed to microtask https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T121332 ,wherein I added screenshots for the ‘Monaco’ and ‘Example’ skins using Vagrant. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Monaco , https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Example
- I have submitted a patch for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T121281 and I will soon get the next patch merged.
I will continue working on microtasks/bugs after the submission of the application as well.
I am an undergraduate at S.P.I.T, computer science branch.
Contributing to open source gives me a great learning experience and interests me tremendously!
I would love to work with the Wikimedia community during my summer break!
Tentative Schedule for the internship period:
May 23 - May 28 :
Dive into the codebase and speculate the implementation details.
May 29 - June 21: Tracking the implementation flow and write code for maintaining a contributor list.
June 22 - July 7: Adding further functionalities such as sorting, displaying contribution information.
July 8 - July 21:Debugging and wrapping up loose ends.
July 22 - Aug 5: Documentation
Aug 6 - Aug 23: Writing Test cases etc.
Past experience :
Current CGPA : 8.7 (B.E)
- Interned as an Android app developer at Grabstr Pvt. Ltd.[2015-16]
- App for ‘Expense Tracking’ was shortlisted among the top 15 apps at Credit Suisse.
- Created a website that allows users to order food online (code uploaded on my github)
Technical skills :
Languages known :C, Java, Python
Application development :Android
Database management :MySQL
For some projects of mine, please visit my github account.