STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
- Go to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Community_Engagement_-_Maps_of_teams_and_workflows.svg
- Click "Upload a new version of this file"
- End up on https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Upload&wpDestFile=Community_Engagement_-_Maps_of_teams_and_workflows.svg&wpForReUpload=1
- Under "Source File > Source Filename", choose your local SVG file (Testcase under cc-by-sa-4.0: F3852629) which was created by downloading the original SVG version (created in "Adobe Illustrator") and then editing it in "Inkscape".
- Wait for the preview to successfully render
- Preview rendering does not finish; spinner shown forever (I waited for 15 minutes):
- Browser console in Firefox says: prefix not bound to a namespace refering to line 3398 of F3852629 being id="XMLID_3529_" /></g></g><i:pgf
Under the assumption that the SVG is invalid and cannot be rendered,
- have a timeout to stop trying rendering and show some message like "Failed to create file preview"
- or bonus points for showing some more informative error message actually explaining what went wrong (and whether that will also affect the file upload itself to not waste my time trying to continue, because I'll get a validation error anyway if I continue)
For historical reasons, T37870: Pre-upload thumbnail shows spinner, never finishes on Windows 8 Consumer Preview / IE 10