in hewiki, we use maintenance categories to highlight various problems.
specifically, we started utilizing "parameter validation" module that detects various issues (mainly passing misnamed parameters not actually used by the template, and missing parameters marked as "required" in templatedata).
we add new tempaltes to this system by editing the template itself, which results in adding any number of pages to these maintenance categories.
when a category is added to a page via template or module change, the page shows the new category immediately, but the category does not include the page for hours, sometimes days.
in many cases, null-edit to the page will immediately update the category to include the page (note that the category shows in the page even before the null edit - however, the page does not appear in the category).
This ticket describes, in the text, precisely the issue i'm reporting here. however, the title, synopsis, and tags talk about "cirrus search", which i don't think has anything to do with the actual problem.