OK, so we have a few things in-flight right now (e.g. jessie upgrades, T132450/HTTPS for carbon etc.), so it's about time to clean this all up.
This would be my suggestion:
- Upgrade install2001 to jessie, make sure our manifests work there (trivial)
- Deploy a new install1001 VM
- move install_server (DHCP, TFTP, preseed web) to install1001
- move reprepro/apt (remember /root/.gnupg/!) to install1001
- Remove all install_server-related roles out of carbon and designate it as a mirror server (T84817); reinstall carbon with jessie (T123733)
- (optionally) split the reprepro role out of install_server in puppet, they're really different roles
- Upgrade install2001 to match install1001 (i.e. add DHCP, point codfw's DHCP relays to install2001) (T84380)
- Set up apt on install2001 too (sync done with rsync in cron)
- use a reprepro hooks to sync apt across and possibly make apt.wikimedia.org HA (perhaps with gdnsd). -> (T158022)
Any takers? @Dzahn maybe?