The special page that Matt wrote for T132127: Display documentation for notification types configuration on Wikimedia made me realize how weird the notification categories are. This is what I see on my localhost:
System (system): welcome, thank-you-edit User rights change (user-rights): user-rights Other (other): Talk page message (edit-user-talk): edit-user-talk Edit revert (reverted): reverted Page link (article-linked): page-linked Mention (mention): mention Email from other user (emailuser): emailuser Flow (flow-discussion): flow-new-topic, flow-post-reply, flow-post-edited, flow-topic-renamed, flow-summary-edited, flow-description-edited, flow-mention, flow-enabled-on-talkpage, flow-topic-resolved Page review (page-review): pagetriage-mark-as-reviewed, pagetriage-add-maintenance-tag, pagetriage-add-deletion-tag Thanks (edit-thank): edit-thank, flow-thank
Things I think we should fix:
- flow-mention should be in the Mention category
- flow-enabled-on-talkpage should be in the System category
- User talk-related Flow notifications should be in the Talk page message category (T132426: User don't receive email notifications concerning their Flow talk page when "Talk page message" is on, but "Flow" is off)
- This is non-trivial to do right now, because these notifications were not implemented as separate types. Instead, Flow's notification types present themselves differently when they're about the user's talk page. Presumably we'd have to split off separate types for user talk.
- We shouldn't have all Flow notifications in one big category, we should split it up. We may not need one per type, but we also shouldn't have a category with nine types in it (seven if we move out flow-mention and flow-enabled-on-talkpage, but I think that's still too many)