Creating a new OTRS account is a very time-consuming process, taking between 20-30 minutes for each account. Between OTRS itself, otrs wiki, permisisons, and logging, there are about 15 steps that must be completed to give one agent access to one queue.
I am proposing a change in our workflow to mitigate this problem. Both OTRS and Mediawiki allow for authentication via LDAP:
- OTRS: https://otrs.github.io/doc/manual/admin/5.0/en/html/external-backends.html
- Mediawiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LDAP_Authentication
To that end, I am proposing the following. We set up an external LDAP server to manage agent accounts in both OTRS and otrs-wiki. Or, we choose either the wiki or OTRS as the master server for accounts.
This depends on the following things:
- This will give all agents access to the wiki, unless it's configured by roles. From my understanding, we are working to give all agents access to the wiki anyway (OTRS Administrators - am I correct about this?)
- This would necessitate a new server to configure or changing of our existing agent management workflows.
- Probably require some downtime in OTRS.