Tabular data should support wiki markup as an alternative to a regular string.
- A table column contains an image from commons that needs to be shown in a graph as a thumbnail (e.g. expensive paintings). To implement it, we could:
- Store wikidata's image Q number (T134657). This allows a proper linking and other use cases, but does not allow easy conversion, e.g. "get the URL of the 200px image thumb", because the conversion would be happening on the client. Converting each value one by one via api parse calls seems excessive.
- Allow wiki markup column type. This is not great because data will contain presentation-related data (url of the 200px image is not really data itself, its the transformation of the original image url), but will allow per row customization, e.g. "this image should be 250px because of its shape. Parsing all values may be a very costly operation, so it should probably be memcached.
Naming (bikeshedding) the data types:
- Regular string: wiki, wikistring, wikimarkup
- Localized string: wkilocalized, langwiki, localizedwiki