Recommendations for the Wikimania Hackathon 2016. -- The hackathons in 2015 had great showcases of prototypes but a low impact on actual improvements for our editors and readers. In order to improve this situation, we are promoting tasks identified by our communities, as possible hackathon projects.
Criteria for projects
- Scope is defined enough to be possible in a couple of hacking days, or there's a small-scope piece of the proposal that could be broken off from the larger idea.
- Non-controversial, won't need further community discussion before you get started
- Minimal design needs
Projects recommended by Community-Tech (WIP)
The priority order is based on the number of support votes the proposal got at the Technical Wishlist Survey. The full table is here, with links to the proposals:
#15: T120733: Improve date range searches on Special:Contributions Well scoped, clearly defined, minimal design.
#27: T109561: Add non-exact title search to Special:Undelete and corresponding API Well-defined, would be very useful for admins. This task would provide a means of searching for deleted pages.
#43: T22307: Generate automatic summary /* blah */ when I manually add a section heading when editing Well-defined, not controversial, could be very helpful.
Projects recommended by WMDE-TechWish (WIP)
#34: T73808: Support tables in PDF rendering (tracking) - Since the whole story is too big for a hackathon, we have scaled it down to 3 sub tasks
Subtasks suitable for the hackathon:
- T137431: Improve patch to show tables in pdfs - very important ground work with no design parts
- T137432: Add a table appendix to pdfs
- T58849: Edit conflict detection by timestamp should be deprecated is not related to a wish in particular, but tackles another important problem about edit conflicts (which do appear as a topic repeatedly on the wishlists). There is mainly review missing for this patch to go live.
Additional projects recommended by Wikidata team
- T103091: [Task] research how to surface usage tracking data for editors
- T59843: [Story] Improve the listing and classification of properties
- T76229: [Story] create demo infoboxes
Additional tasks that Hackathon attendees are interested in, or planning to work on
Start or continue the discussions, now!
- #11: T3790: Allow uploading of 3D files to Wikimedia Commons
- #17: T120746: Improve SVG rendering
- #98: T120745: Enhance image uploading process
- #14: T2674: Allow users to be blocked from editing a specific article or all articles inside a namespace
- #68: T88620: Hacking: Provide a clickthrough workflow for file copyright email permissions
- #23: T48580: Create a VisualEditor plugin to integrate with ProofreadPage
- #36 T97672: Allow exporting MediaWiki pages in EPUB format
- #6: T120451: Allow categories in Commons in all languages
- T131417: enriching wikidata entities with MARC data from libraries
- T15303: Implement HTML e-mail support in MediaWiki
- T131582: RSS reader to Commons
- T91201: [GOAL] Accessibility settings/preferences on desktop and mobile
- T135882: Create/adapt tool for easier communications reporting within the affiliates
- T137457: Hold a Wiki Loves Monuments coding sprint at Wikimania Hackathon 2016
- T135352: Add text to speech audio pronunciations for IPA to Wikipedia Android app
- T117711: OCR scripts need updating at tools labs by updating the "tesseract-ben" package
- T138260: Solution for multiple refs varying only by page number Superpagination.
Want to work on something else?
Tag your task with Wikimania-Hackathon-2016 and find someone to work with!
The Community-Tech team is organizing a Community Wishlist Survey that will result in a prioritized backlog of tasks. That team will work on some of the tasks but not all. What about using the developer energy around the Wikimedia-Hackathon-2016 to get more tasks of that list resolved?
We could match identified tasks with Wikimedia developers willing to work on them with local developer groups willing to participate in the hackathon (T119694).