In order to increase the maintainability of the beta puppetmaster, and reduce the delta from production puppetmaster we need a process for handling puppet changes that are being tested on beta.
The current process in which deployment-prep admins simply cherry-pick a patch to the puppetmaster is unsustainable. The process leaves uncollected commits littered in beta, or, worse prevents beta from pulling in production updates.
Ideally, we could use this ticket to define a process that is:
- More visible than the current process
- More accountable than the current process
- Adds very little overhead to the current process
- Defines a clear set of criteria for when/how a cherry pick can be made on beta puppet master
- Defines a clear set of criteria for when/how a cherry pick can be removed without the involvement of patch authors necessarily
- Timeboxed so we don't have cherry picks to beta puppetmaster living on for many months.