For the first quarter of the coming year the search team is looking into what inter-wiki searches might look like.
"Evaluate and devise plan for using cross-project indices, which would allow users to search across all projects in any given language."
An example of what this could potentially mean: When you search on the Hebrew Wikipedia for a phrase, results from the Hebrew Wiktionary and Wikiquote might appear somewhere in the search results.
This task will track the work with the communities to understand how Wikimedia wiki search results might change, what concerns they have, and how to be a part of feedback and testing of this project.
In preparation a few examples of augmented search were discovered:
- T109957 - Wikimedia search results had cross-project links in the results in the past
Measurement of success
- Call for feedback sent to targeted communities.
- Volunteers contribute ideas, get involved, and help improving the plan.
- Based on the experience, feedback for the Technical Collaboration Guideline is provided.
- Allow for individual wiki's to 'turn off' this functionality - if desired