Last year, we conducted a survey about the usage of MediaWiki. We need to do a follow up survey this time.
- Identify low hanging fruits in MediaWiki development
- Quantitative measurement of the size of non WM community (market share)
- Movements: update, move aways, new installations
- Information on how to tailor the release process
- Main pain points
- Recruiting more developers
- Make the stakeholders group known more widely
Here are 7 questions (directed at an organization's wiki super-user/promoter/advocate/initiator) in whose answers I would be interested in view of promoting SMW as an enterprise knowledge management system.
- Why did you choose MediaWiki over a simple file-system/Microsoft-Office approach?
- Why did you choose MediaWiki over a competing system like Confluence, SharePoint, FileMaker or some other wiki system?
- What reactions (and problems, if any), did you encounter until your relevant superior decision takers approved investing in MediaWiki?
- What reactions (and problems, if any), did you encounter until your relevant subordinates/colleagues had turned into intrinsically motivated and aptly skilled MediaWiki users?
- Imagine your organization's wikis as trains. Trains need to be kept clean and maintained in order to be effective and efficient. So do your wikis. Who assumes these tasks in/for your organization? (e.g. usage instructions, backup, update, template design, configuration, cleaning and consolidating data, etc.)
- Is your organization obliged to record a complete chain of evidence about data provenance and revision ("subject to compliance")?
- Imagine a new employee joins your organization and the only source of explanatory information she has available are your wikis (instead of a mentor, a boss or colleagues). To what extent would the wikis be capable to familiarize her with the aspects relevant to her job description and/or mission statement?
I would suggest focusing on goals before diving into the questions for the interviews. I am happy to help review anything; just shoot me an email. I will need at least 3 days to review anything. Thanks!