We sent an email on Friday, 6/24 to Major Gifts' ~1300 person Quarterly Report list announcing Katherine as the new ED. After the email went out, I noticed there was a huge bump in suppressed email addresses compared the previous email we sent in April. Here's the numbers breakdown:
- Total QR list: 1388
- Total suppressed on last email in April: 157
- Total suppressed on ED email in June: 354
This is a huge increase, especially for a list as well-engaged and well-curated as MG's. What caused these records to be added to the suppression list en masse?
My guess is this is related to the changes made in T131979, though I can't tell how. @LeanneS did a spot check on 15 of new email addresses added to the suppression list, and said the only trends she found were:
- They all had last given in 2010 or earlier
- Most, but not all, were marked Do Not Trade (which does not count as an unsubscribe)
I've added a file to the server with 4 tabs breaking down the data from the email we sent last week. Here's the file:
The tabs are as follows:
- The "new" suppressions from the 6/26 email that weren't on the April suppression list
- The total suppressions from the 6/26 email
- The total suppressions from the April email
- The total who received the 6/26 email
This is really important to Major Gifts, as it cuts out 15% of a list of their most informed and engaged donors for no apparent reason. It also makes me worried we've opted out legitimate contacts on the small dollar donor side as well.
Can we investigate what happened?