The template editor was supported as part of Content Translation (CX1). When the new version (CX2) was developed the template editor was not supported and the default VE support for templates was used.
Translating content with templates presents several challenges. Some simple approaches were defined initially for Content Translation to provide some support for this process, but as we want to support more advanced scenarios we need to find better solutions.
As part of this ticket we'll analyse the current problems and provide ideas to better support template adaptation. Different ideas are covered in more detail as subtickets:
- T143121: Support block template adaptation
- T144004: Support inline template adaptation
- T145855: Design loading transitions for template translation
- T145856: Design field editing aids for translation templates
- T145857: Support for manual mappings in template translation
- T150425: Designs for compact unused fields when translating templates
- T147428: Support translation of recursive templates
An overview of the general interaction models is provided below for both block and inline templates:
Issues found during the research of template translation are listed in: