Page MenuHomePhabricator

Using WikiEditor's Search/replace feature in Arabic Wikipedia does not scroll content area to position of text match
Closed, DeclinedPublic

Description

I use the search/replace feature in Wikipedia (not the browser). The highlighted results are not synchronised with "find next" button. Hence, 95% of time I have to scroll up & down the whole text to find the highlighted result each time I click find next. Also, sometimes some results are not highlighted at all (last time this happened was today when I was searching for double spaces in an article).

This might be only my computer but I'm not sure how can I find out.

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added subscribers: Zppix, Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJul 19 2016, 5:43 PM

Hej hej Reem,

I assume this is about editing a Wikipedia page and using ابحث واستبدل in the Wikitext editor? Or is this about the VisualEditor?
Good steps to reproduce are always welcome. :)
Do you have a longer example article and a search term, so someone else could try to reproduce this? Which browser is this about?

Reem_Al-Kashif added a comment.EditedJul 19 2016, 6:07 PM

Hej hej Reem,
I assume this is about editing a Wikipedia page and using ابحث واستبدل in the Wikitext editor? Or is this about the VisualEditor?
Good steps to reproduce are always welcome. :)
Do you have a longer example article and a search term, so someone else could try to reproduce this? Which browser is this about?

Heyy Andre :)

Yes, exactly, ابحث واستبدل in the Wikitext editor.
I tried to check this this but I got so lost...
Example article: كنيسة القديس جيمس في سيدني
Example term to find: في
Example term to replace: فى
Browser: Google Chrome (Version 51.0.2704.103 m)

Aklapper renamed this task from Problems with the search/replace feature in AR Wikipedia to Using WikiEditor's Search/replace feature in Arabic Wikipedia does not scroll content area to position of text match.Jul 27 2016, 10:11 AM

I could not reproduce this using the example data provided by @Reem_Al-Kashif. The search function consistently highlighted the found term and the edit box scrolled to show it. Replacing also worked, both one-at-a-time and all at once. I used Firefox 57.0 on Windows 10.

Aklapper changed the task status from Open to Stalled.Dec 29 2017, 4:48 PM

I cannot reproduce either in Firefox 57 on https://ar.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=كنيسة_القديس_جيمس_في_سيدني&action=edit
Using ابحث واستبدل on the left, the textarea shows the highlighted search term in the last visible line and updates accordingly.
If anyone can still reproduce, which browser and browser version is this about?

Aklapper closed this task as Declined.Mar 14 2018, 2:43 PM

Unfortunately closing this report as no further information has been provided.

@Reem_Al-Kashif: After you have provided the information asked for and if this still happens, please set the status of this report back to "Open" via the Add Action...Change Status dropdown. Thanks!

Restricted Application added a subscriber: alanajjar. · View Herald TranscriptMar 14 2018, 2:43 PM
TJones reopened this task as Open.May 17 2019, 2:19 PM
TJones added a subscriber: TJones.

I'm seeing a problem in Chrome (Version 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit) / OS X 10.13.6).

To reproduce:

  • Set browser window size to 1186 x 705
  • Open a private browser window (so as to be not logged in or have any other stuff enabled)
  • Edit this old version of the Arabic article with the English interface.
  • Click "Find and replace" from the Visual Editor menu
  • Search for في —there should be 99 results
  • Scroll all the way to the top of the page (exact location on the page seems to matter)
  • Click next result (">") lots of times....
    • #16 and #17 are barely on the screen (see screenshot)

The behavior at this point is inconsistent:

  • Sometimes result 18 and 19 show the problem behavior, and the screen does not scroll.
  • If result 18 does scroll, then you can click previous result ("<") back to result 9, and the screen does not scroll (though it is probably behind the find and replace UI element.

More generally, clicking forward and backward through at least 20 or 30 results at a time will eventually show the behavior of the highlighted result not being on screen.


Safari has a different problem.

  • Safari 12.1 on macOS (High Sierra)
  • Edit this old version of the Arabic article with the English interface.
  • Click "Find and replace" from the Visual Editor menu
  • Search for في —there should be 99 results
  • Click on the previous result ("<")
  • The screen scrolls down to the bottom of the page and the find and replace UI element is not floating—it's way back up at the top of the page.

TheDJ added a subscriber: TheDJ.May 19 2019, 6:45 PM

@TJones this ticket is about the 2010 WikiEditor, your report is about VisualEditor. Better open a separate ticket.

TJones closed this task as Declined.May 22 2019, 6:41 PM

I guess I'll un-reopen this ticket while I'm here, too, and put it back in "Declined" status, as @Aklapper had it before.

happy5214 moved this task from Backlog to Closed on the WikiEditor board.Aug 4 2019, 11:57 AM