Based on T110604#2515527
Necessary things are:
- Notification name
- A screenshot
- which kind of notification it is (notice or alert)
- what triggers that notification
- what is received by user:
- Primary information (first link)
- Secondary information (second link)
- Details (what's at the bottom of that notification
You can find inspiration in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Notifications/Notifications_types
- If that new notification is used on all WMF wikis as a "core" extension (like "Thanks" extension is), it can be integrated in the Default notifications section.
- If that new notification is used on some WMF wikis as an optional extension or Beta feature, it can be integrated in the Notifications from optional extensions section.
- If an extension tested as a Beta feature or active only on certain wikis changes something on a Default notifications, it can be documented on the Default notifications section, as a separated paragraph, with all necessary details.
- If that new notification is not used on WMF wikis, it has to be on a separate page, with all user documentation for the extension to avoid. A link can be created from the notifications type page to that documentation.
When to do that
It is possible to do that before merging the task. In that case, please follow some recommandations:
- create a section labelled "future features", like on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Notifications/Special:Notifications#Future_features
- descriptions must be written in the present tense to avoid extra work for translators. They will be moved to the appropriate sections when the feature is available.
All this is open to comments. I'll then create an Help page on mw.org.