In the Mobile interface beta there is a categories button but I think this is not very intuitive, most people will be just too lazy to explore it. Instead, please, we could try to expose the first 2-3 categories with a 'More...' button next to them.
The following layout has been suggested which shows 3 of the categories and a link to view them all:
Choice of top 3
@Nirzar said: "I think fixing the content issue is very essential in order to implement this feature. I think it's a blocker. it's not only which categories are useful but also what happens when you click on a category. right now mobile rendering of category pages is bad and difficult to navigate."
Previous work: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/298029
Viewing category (clicking category)
The API, which exposes a list of pages in a category, is already available, e.g.:
As far as I can see, the api should support our InfiniteScroll module, too (haven't tested).
- Clarify, what happens with the text of a category (a category doesn't just contain pages, it can contain (a lot) of wikitext, too.
- What happens with sub-categories (which currently are exposed on the category page, too, e.g. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Lower_Yarkon_River)
- Clarify, if there's already an API, which exposes a list of pages for a category.
- Which mock is more up to date? tags or list?
- If there are only 2 categories and clicking a category opens all pages in the category how do I add a new category?