When clicking a hovercard in safari and going back the hovercard will still be open
- When clicking a link/hovercard the hovercard disappears or doesn't show up clicked before appearing.
- Event logging behavior is unchanged (clicking a link only sends the 'opened in ...' event, no 'dismissed' or 'dwellbutabandoned')
Hovercards remain visible when using back button in Safari
Safari handles the back button a little differently than other browsers. When navigating back it retrieves the page from a cache including the last state of DOM objects. This causes Hovercards to remain open when navigating back (after clicking a hovercard-ed link).
First mentioned here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:T99cxk1ojrf4y5tn
The suggestion is to figure out a way to dismiss these hovercards when navigating back - which at fist blush appears to involve invalidating Safari's (and Firefox?) cache.
- Log in
- Enable hovercards as beta feature
- Hover over a link and click the link to proceed to next page
- Hovercard should close
- If back button is pressed, no hovercards should appear