Parts of the "Conflicting Changes" text field text should be collapsible:
- Text that has not been changed by either party is collapsed by default
- A collapsed unit spans from one conflicting change to the next. This might include multiple paragraphs.
- Representation of collapsed unit:
- A collapsed unit starts with the first characters of the unit.
- It ends with the last characters of the unit
- If the unit is longer than start characters + end characters, all characters in between are substituted by "..."
- The number of characters at the beginning and at the end should be such, that the user has enough context to understand the diff changes that follow
- The unit should expand, if users click on it, and collapse, when users TODO
See also the mock for a general idea.
This is part of fulfilling wish #1 of the German-speaking community wishlist 2015 (T143823).
The solution is a result of on-wiki discussion and Wikimania 2016 sessions and testings, as well as feedback we received to the prototype.