There will be two methods for signing up for the RC Filters beta:
- Opt in via the beta preferences page (described in T159007)
- Opt in on the RC page.
This ticket describes the latter function. Its implementation can wait until after beta release to the first wiki.
Opting in via the RC page
During the beta phase, the new Recent Changes filters can be enabled from the Recent Changes page itself. There are two elements to this feature:
- A popover opt-in invitation.
- A popover confirmation.
The popover opt-in invitation
- After the beta is implemented, when a user who has not already opted in to the beta visits the RC page for the first time, a popover will appear pointing to the "beta" link in the personal toolbar (see illustration).
- If the beta link is not present in some wiki, the popover can point to the preferences link instead.
- Users can enable the beta feature in just one click using the blue button.
- The "no thanks" link will permanently dismiss the popover for this user.
- If the user neither implements the feature nor clicks the "no thanks" link (instead, say, navigating away from the page), then the popover is still permanently dismissed.
- A "Learn more" link is provided that goes to the RC Filters page on mediawiki.
- The image used in the panel will be animated. A non-looping animated Gif for the animation is available at F5053416
The popover confirmation
After the user accepts, another popover will act as a confirmation and inform about the beta feature page to be the place to provide feedback (and disable the beta feature).
- If the user clicks the page off the popover, it disappears.
- If the user does nothing, the popover will vanish automatically after 3 seconds.