Currently licensing is a house of cards.
- In commons, images can have different licenses
- Sites can configure licenses
- WikimediaMessages can update licenses
- Editors can override licenses in messages
- Pages can have multiple licenses (e.g. Wikidata)
- MobileFrontend shows different license text to desktop
Speaking @Slaporte we are interested in being able to:
- license newly edited content with cc by sa 4 while maintaining the same license for older content.
- license urls would be specific to the current language
With the current ecosystem being able to do this is pretty complicated.
We would need to
- Show cc 3 license for all content edited before date A (including cached HTML)
- Show new license for all content edited after date B
- Old revisions would show the old license
We'd like to make requests like this from legal much more straightforward.
One way we could achieve this is via a page prop content-license which is an integer which represents a license stored in a constant somewhere.
Any thoughts welcomed. I've added a handful of people that I feel may have good views in this area, but please do broaden the audience!