An API for monitoring dumps of WMF wikis
Type of activity
=== 1. The problem ===
People tracking the generation of dumps of all sorts for our wiki projects must either screenscrape https://dumps.wikimedia.org/backup-index.html, check the dumpsruninfo.txt file in the directory for the dump of the particular wiki on the given date, or, in the case of other sorts of dumps, check directory listings via the web to see what's going on.
With the rewrite of the dumps, we have the opportunity to include a monitoring/stats API from the start of the design.
=== 2. Expected outcome ===
* List requirements for a monitoring/stats API for all forms of dumps; what do users need?
* Review internal WMF projects that may have code or data we can reuse
* Discuss and compile a list of third-party software that could be adapted for our use
* Put together a roadmap of timetable/tasks for implementation for use with the Dumps 1.0 (current infrastructure)
=== 3. Current status of the discussion ===
Starting it now. Note that I can't dedicate coding time to this now as I am working on another piece of the rewrite this quarter.
=== 4. Links ===
* This task is part of T128755 scheduled for work during the quarter Jan-Mar 2017.
[[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:ArielGlenn | Ariel Glenn ]]
==Preferred group size==
The more the merrier
An easel with white paper or a whiteboard, with markers
==Interested attendees (sign up below)==
# Add your name here