Like many other language versions, Hungarian Wikipedia is in a decline, driven by the inability to attract new editors.
The Wikimedia Foundation and the movement produced various software to address that issue, but a significant part of that did not reach local communities because the last-mile effort of localization did not happen. ("Localization" is used in a wide sense here, including software localization on translatewiki.net, but also writing local documentation, adapting local gadgets, advertize new features to editors etc.)
The primary goal of this Outreachy project is to improve that situation by improving the localization of some major software products. The secondary goal is to make such localization easier for other wikis easier by documenting the process and its learnings.
The exact selection of software features is up for discussion and might depend on the candidate's skills and interests; some suggestions:
- VisualEditor: finish interface translation, translate and adapt documentation, identify most used templates and add TemplateData (possibly write software tool for converting hu.wikipedia's old template documentation system), enable Citoid, write Zotero plugins for major Hungarian information sources, convert the old CharInsert-based character map, make sure all custom edit buttons/tools for which it makes sense are ported, review gadgets on large wikis and import the most useful ones, update wiki help pages, popularize VisualEditor (especially amongst mentors) and forward feedback to Phabricator
- Flow: finish interface translation, translate and adapt documentation, organize and set up a trial (see T119365), collect feedback, maybe help with adapting local bots
- ORES: organize a workforce to finish the "damaging" campaign and possibly do other campaigns; if really ambitious, modify FlaggedRevs to use ORES scores for auto-reviewing
- build a local version of the teahouse
There is rough consensus for most of these changes (see here for some past discussion).
- has to speak Hungarian
- community engagement (ideally some level of familiarity with the Hungarian editor community)
Mentor: @Tgr, TBD
Microtasks (pick one):
- write a Zotero translator for a Hungarian web site
- port the template insert tool to VisualEditor
- (...come up with your own microtask!)
(note: these tasks are hard to solve without help and requiring that is not the intention. Feel free to ask for advice!)
For general Outreachy information, see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_15
For information on how to participate, see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Participants