Based on research observation on users use of our initial prototype for Recent Changes designs (T142785), we identified several areas to improve: filter navigation (T147549), combining filters and highlights (T147351), and using multiple highlights (T147295).
The following improvements are proposed:
From T147549: Design a way to better discover and navigating between filtering and results:
- Separate tags from the filter entry point to make it easier to access.
- Provide an option to clear all filters to facilitate repetitive use.
- Make the filter invite more explanatory to indicate users can either browse or start typing to get results.
- Make the filter panel less wide to facilitate navigation between filtering and the results as well as anticipating the effect of changes.
From T147351: Design a way to help users understand the difference between Highlighting and Filtering, and to use both effectively:
- Provide a separate highlight mode in the filtering menu to avoid confusion with filtering.
From T147295: Design a way to better orient users when combining multiple highlights:
- Use color bullet points to signal individual highlight colors.
You can check the updated prototype or view the quick screencast below:
(view in full size at F4584506 )