- Name of tool/project: Recommendation API
- Project home page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Recommendation_API
- Name of team requesting review: Research
- Primary contact: @schana
- Target date for deployment: End of Q2
- Link to code repository / patchset: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/research/recommendation-api
Description of the tool/project
The Wikimedia Recommendation API is an open-access HTTP API, currently under development, that will provide personalized recommendations for a variety of use-cases. The initial use-case for this API is ContentTranslation where it recommends articles to translate from one language to another by using traffic trends, activity logs, and other signals to identify gaps in coverage and to match those to editors based on interest. The API is intended to be flexible enough to serve as a basis for new features by third-party developers or researchers.
Description of how the tool will be used at WMF
Potentially in the future
Has this project been reviewed before?
No, although the deployment of dependencies will be similar to ORES (T130233).
Working test environment
security-test.recommendation-api.eqiad.wmflabs has been set up for testing and is accessible at http://recommend-security-test.wmflabs.org.
An environment can also be set up using docker (Dockerfile) or with the normal virtualenv/pip dance. Note: the docker environment uses Flask's built-in server.
Research will be responsible and @schana is the primary contact.