Page MenuHomePhabricator

Create Hindi language versions of all 3 prototypes
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

We'd like to offer prototypes in 2 languages (en and hi) for the prototypes to give more options for people to give feedback on the prototypes and expand our testing reach.

Translations are available here, and pulled from labels from translatewiki where they are the same:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1llOOp7xb_moJ0ktGA6kI8H3qQ0_ORC4HmXgU_PbL12A/edit#gid=0

Event Timeline

atgo renamed this task from Create Hindi and Spanish language versions of all 3 prototypes to Create Hindi language versions of 2 prototypes.Jan 10 2017, 9:47 PM
atgo updated the task description. (Show Details)

@ovasileva it'd be great if this could get prioritized as well - we'd like to have Autowiki and Wikilater in Hindi for on the ground testing (we're going to pause testing QuickFact for now).

atgo renamed this task from Create Hindi language versions of 2 prototypes to Create Hindi language versions of all 3 prototypes.Jan 10 2017, 10:04 PM
atgo updated the task description. (Show Details)
Jhernandez added a subscriber: Nirzar.

Yep, sorry I forgot to update the task before vacation.

Now if you visit any of the prototypes like https://wikilater-1.surge.sh/ it will redirect you to the language url (defaults to en) : https://wikilater-1.surge.sh/en/wiki/Wikimedia

To use a different language, change the language prefix on the URL, es and hi being the only options right now.

For example, for the Wikimedia article in spanish, you go to https://wikilater-1.surge.sh/es/wiki/Wikimedia

The thing with hindi, is that most articles have the title in hindi, so that's what you need to put on the URL, resulting in terrible URLs, but they are supposed to work, see:

Everything is supposed to be working, I've doing some QAing rounds. Moving to signoff for testing from @atgo and @Nirzar

I've found a bug, when downloading a PDF it will fetch the english version always. Working on it

I've done a QA round on autowiki (saved pages) with the offline usage and everything seems fine, used

@Nirzar the wikimedia foundation article is terribly outdated, it lists sue gardner as the ED and a very old budget for example. Maybe you can fix it ;)

@atgo Those all seem to be non-existing pages that are filled in with a template, see https://hi.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B5%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%AC_2.0 for example. I'm not sure if it is a disambiguation page or what it is but restbase/mcs don't know how to load those (I'd be interesting to know what the apps do).

The error message can definitely be localized, it wasn't identified as a label. I'll provide the Spanish key, @Nirzar please provide the hindi key for: There was a problem retrieving <title>.

@atgo I've added the messages and deployed.

https://wikilater-1.surge.sh/hi/wiki/%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%88%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AB%E0%A4%BC%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A8%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%BEj

@Nirzar I've used google translate resulting in this message:

एक समस्या यह पेज लोड किया गया था: कैलिफ़ोर्निया

Let me know if it doesn't make sense. The english version is There was a problem loading कैलिफ़ोर्निया

Strange that I encountered so many. Thanks @Jhernandez. I've passed links
on to the testing company to check out.

I'll take another pass this afternoon, but overall looks good. If the
testing agency finds other issues, I'll create new tasks.

एक समस्या यह पेज लोड किया गया था: कैलिफ़ोर्निया doesn't make sense. :)

कैलिफ़ोर्निया पेज एक समस्या की वजह से लोड नहीं किया जा सका would be better.

I'm signing this off since it seems to be working fine and there haven't been any complaints.